Sunday, November 13, 2022

11/4/22 card show report: November big spender

A couple Fridays ago I once again made it back east to Taylor for the monthly show after missing October's, and because of that I was willing to spend a bit more than I usually do if the opportunity arose.

I spent about my average of two hours flipping through my favorite seller's boxes and came up with the following totals:

  • 60 quarter cards
  • 55 dollar cards
  • 7 $2 cards
All of that came out to $84 and the guy asked for $80, which was plenty reasonable. I was quite happy with the amount of trade bait I grabbed, especially out of the dollar boxes, and I suspect that he moved some stuff I would have skipped from the $2s into that. Anyway, I once again came home with a good amount of trade bait for some of my favorite folks plus plenty to list on TCDB. Speaking of the site, I also stopped by a vintage dealer that's often there and grabbed a couple cards for buddies I trade with there for just $5, so that was a successful stop as well.

In terms of what I'll show off tonight, as always I'll lead off with the unassigned trade bait:

Former Wolverine Bourque is a dupe for both myself and Jeff though I didn't realize it at the time. We'll get to the Caldwell in a minute. Cobb is SN149; Ervin, Prosise, and Reynolds are SN199; Robiskie is SN50; and Stewart (a cleat piece!) is SN15. As for the Caldwell, how great could it be seeing as it's the only card here out of the quarter box?
Wait, does that say "1/1" on the right?! It sure does! I have no idea how that snuck into the pile of quarter boxes, and even then how nobody grabbed it before me, but either way it's an exciting score! It's definitely not in mint condition having bounced around in at least that box for a bit, but I'm sure it'll make someone happy.
Trade bait #2: as you can see I like getting my money's worth on the $1 and $2 cards with autographed relics, and I've always liked those Topps Strata cards with the acetate windows. Funchess is another dupe for both Jeff and me but seemed worth a grab just in case. Hardy and Mayle are both SN799 as is the Palmer manuhelmet. Prosise card #2 is SN499 and the Walton cards are SN399 and SN99, respectively.

Just shout if you want anything you see above and we can try to work out a deal!

Now we'll move on to my keepers:
On the baseball side, out of the quarter box we have a Griffey from this year's Gallery that looks classy plus a Maddux from 2008 Topps Moments & Milestones (for his 300 career wins). I believe both basketball hits were in the $2 box and those are of former Laker (among other teams) Mo Wagner (Franz's brother!) and former lots-of-teams GRIII (numbered /199). Wagner moves up to three hits while Robinson III gets his sixth. Last up in this scan is one football item that didn't fit in the next one: a Panini Unparalleled RC of Packers defensive star Rashan Gary, who's sadly out for the season with a knee injury. According to my list I now have a third of Gary's 21 RCs I'm tracking.
The rest of the football also came out of the quarter box. The Nico insert is timely since the WR actually caught a TD today despite the Texans' garbage QB situation. Darboh's shiny SAGE insert would look cooler if it wasn't partially airbrushed. Braylon's insert is from back in the 2000s when serial numbered inserts were still awesome (this one is SN1000). Former Lion Graham Glasgow, who escaped the tire fire here (for Denver, so take that for what it's worth) had eluded my collection up to this point so I was thrilled to track down his lone RC (2018 Panini Unparalleled) plus what I believe to be a "Flight" parallel.

On a day that was good to my Michigan RC collection I also picked up my very first first-year of last year's stud Wolverine back Hassan Haskins out of this year's Prestige. It's a Michigan uni card that's sure to give Ohio State collectors nightmares for years to come! Then we go back to the Panini Unparalleled well for the last time, though this isn't actually a RC but, oddly enough, a parallel, for my first card of former FB Joe Kerridge (from 2018, just like Glasgow's card). Just one of 12 issues of him made, this is the Superplaid version numbered /150, starring a guy who played in 12 games over two seasons with the Pack (not bad for a fullback!). I wasn't gonna skip a Prizm parallel of transfer RB Rawls out of the quarter box. And lastly we have one more RC, and a college uni card at that, of Pats LB Josh Uche, who just picked up three sacks in last Sunday's win over the Colts.

Well, I set out to spend more than usual to make up for the last show, plus to start re-stocking my trade package coffers and bring home some items for myself, and I'd say that I succeeded on all fronts. I'm looking forward to what will likely be my last show of the year in a few weeks in hopes of having enough fodder to allow me to do one of my favorite holiday traditions of sending out Christmas cards, maybe with an assist from COMC thanks to their seeming return to competence this year? We'll have to see, but after feasting on turkey on Thanksgiving I may be going back for seconds from a couple sources for some holiday shopping.

16 comments:

  1. I have the Hutch from Prestige, I need to look for a Haskins. Nice pick-ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too surprised you found the Hutch since you tend to be pretty proactive about going after the guys you collect more than I am. I was a bit surprised that the guy let the Haskins go in a quarter box that close to Ann Arbor, though. I still hope you can make it up here at some point!

      Delete
  2. That Griffey Gallery card is nice, don't think I've seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either but that makes sense for me at least since it's from 2022 Gallery and I hadn't bought any or even seen any breaks that I can think of

      Delete
  3. Very nice haul here! I'd be interested in that Immaculate Ardarius for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's all yours, I'll throw it in your part of my trade box so I send it to you the next time you get an envelope from me.

      Delete
  4. I was late foe that Stewart! Love unique relics.

    Would be interested in the other unique relic jr redmond, the david cobb because i like inscriptions and the 1/1 from the quarter box caldwell. Cant believe you found that in there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, I'll set aside the Redmond, Cobb, and 1/1 for you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks dennis! Added more to.your package today before i seal it

      Delete
  5. There's probably some collector out there that's been waiting years for that 1/1 to show up on eBay, and instead it's been sitting in a discount box all of this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff. I hope there are some $1 and $2 boxes at the next card show I go to... because I need to restock my trade (actually, I don't really trade... so "care") package coffers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fuji! I hope you find those too. They're a great way to stock up for trade/care/whatever packages.

      Delete