Saturday, April 20, 2019

2019 trade package #6: Parts of My Past

I've been wanting to post a nice summary of the results of The Packening but got bogged down with other stuff this week, including a bit of flooding in my basement that pretty much ate up my whole afternoon today (though nothing really got damaged, which is great).  Also, I'm way behind on covering a few other things, including the show a couple weeks ago, plus some outstanding trade packages.

Which is why today I'll be showing off my latest PWE from Matt of Parts of My Past (formerly Sport Card Collectors).  This is actually the second PWE he's sent me this month, and the most recent trade package I posted here was from Matt, my fellow enthusiast of Griffey and all things 90s, including inserts.

Here's the latest goods, all Tigers edition:
Platonic ideal of baseball's three true outcomes and former Tigers catcher Alex Avila leads things off with his 2012 Topps Gold Rush parallel.  I remember these fairly well but couldn't recall how they were inserted, then found that they were an HTA set.  The only other instance of this set that appears in my collection is Chris Getz's issue as he's a PC guy, and the name appears a lot more frequently thanks to it original incarnation as a Score parallel.

Formerly effective (but still fun to collect) slugger Miguel Cabera is next on three different recent Topps issues.  The bookends--2017 flagship's Walmart Holiday Snowflake and 2019 Gypsy Queen Chrome--look nice enough, but the real winner here is a Red parallel of his 2018 Gold Label Class 2 card (#41/50).  Though not as fun as its earlier iterations, Gold Label remains a winner, and the red looks quite striking here.  I'm thankful that folks like Matt keep sending me quality stuff like this!

Sticking with the letter "C", there's future former Tiger Nick Castellanos on a 2018 Topps Fire Green parallel (#184/199).  That's never been one of my favorite Topps products, but I do like numbered parallels, and Castellanos is a guy whose cards I plan on keeping even when he leaves Motown.  I'll be sorry to see him go because he's been fun to watch as a hitter, but also hope he's the last bat-only player Detroit signs for quite a while.

Finally, Matt followed up his previous PWE with a card that combines two of that package's features:  Ty Cobb and 2019 Topps' 150 Years of Pro Baseball insert.  In this case the Georgia Peach's card is actually the 150th Anniversary version and therefore one of the product's many cards numbered to 150 (#136/150 here).  Numbered Cobbs are few and far between in my collection so this was a nice throw-in for me.

Thanks again for the second envelope in just a few weeks, Matt!  I hope you enjoyed your flat-rate box of stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing your posts on it!

Stay tuned for a couple more trade posts soon among anything else I managed to get posted soon.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen those Gold Rush cards a few times on the blogs, but I never knew how they were distributed either, I guess now I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuji's usually the one that educates everyone here so I'm glad to get an opportunity!

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed buddy. TWo more already heading your way and I am working on the next!

    ReplyDelete