Monday, April 8, 2019

2019 trade package #5: Parts of My Past

Matt of the recently re-branded Parts of My Past (you may remember him from such previous titles as Sport Card Collectors) was cool enough to hit me with my first trade envelope of April, which was (eventually) enough to give me a kick in the blogging ass and post something over here.  As usual I knew I was in for stuff I liked since Matt and I are very similar collectors with a 90s insert-heavy focus (and, hey, I know a bit about renaming a blog too!).

Here's what filled out the PWE this time:
This was a Tigers- and Topps-heavy PWE with five (mostly) recent inserts from that brand, opening up with Matt "YEEEEAH" Boyd, a favorite of John's who's definitely growing on me.  That's his Gold parallel from this year's flagship product, #1476/2019.  His teammate this year, Miggy, follows on a Donruss Optic Pink Prizm from last year.  While Boyd seems to be on the upswing, Cabrera has been on a rough decline the past few seasons.

Next up is a pair of Tigers legends in Ty Cobb and Al Kaline on 2019 Topps inserts.  The Georgia Peach shares one of his two Evolution appearances with a player I don't recognize,
2019 Topps - Evolution Of #EO-24 - Equipment - Vintage Sunglasses, Modern Sunglasses - Courtesy of COMC.com
on a card that compares vintage and modern shades.  Mr. Tiger and a great vintage photo are the stars of Kaline's 150 Years of Pro Baseball chase card.  "Greatest players" is damn right, Topps!

Then we hit a couple of my PCs.  The Iron Man is the subject of a 2018 Topps Storybook Endings card which highlights his 2001 sendoff, a season during which, the card notes, he made his 19th straight All-Star team.  In fact, the only years he wasn't sent to the Midsummer Classic were his 23-game cup of coffee in '81 and the following year, his first full season, after which he was named the AL Rookie of the Year.  Not bad, Cal!


And finally, a 2013 Topps Heritage insert matches up Detroit/Philly pitching great Jim Bunning with Detroit/Houston pitching great Justin Verlander, a guy I happen to collect once in a blue moon.  Jim's a HOFer who won more then 200 games, put up almost 60 bWAR, and, oh yeah, tossed a no-no and a perfect game.  Justin's gonna pass him in wins this year or next and eclipse his strikeout count to boot while boasting a higher bWAR already and a ring to go with his pair of no-hitters.  So yeah, these guys are in good company.

Thanks again for another surprise PWE, Matt!  As soon as I can figure out how to get some things packaged I'll have a GIANT return headed your way.

6 comments:

  1. Why wouldn't they put Bunning in a Tiger uni if he was to share a card with JV in one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed! More to come! I am a bit behind on getting you more out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'm glad I hit you back in the meantime!

      Delete
  3. Now I'm curious about that sunglasses card. Couldn't find any info on TCDB or COMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, which is weird. Maybe a Mariner?

      Delete