Sunday, April 6, 2014

2014 You Complete Me #2: bye bye, baseball, and another football set down

I have a few more COMC cards to show off, but I also wanted to make sure to cover my recent Sportlots purchase in my first You Complete Me post since January.  Besides targeting more guys from my Michigan baseball PCs, I was able to attack three more sets from my baseball and football wantlists.  I'm still waiting on one last envelope with cards from the third set, but here's the two others that fell:
These 10 cards, all from the rookies subset, close the book on my second set of 2008 SP Rookie Edition football.  I found a few full retail boxes at Meijer a few years ago and had enough extras to make it worth putting together a second set.  In typical Sportlots fashion I got five of these from one seller, three from another, and the last two from a third.  In all, I made purchases from seven sellers but still came in under $30 because I was able to apply some sellers' loot for the first time.

Axing this set makes my football wantlist smaller, and I'll also insert a side note that I decided to cease collecting 2001 MVP football because I just wasn't into it; the incomplete set, minus Wolverines of course, is available for trade, and I'll have more on that at a later date.

Stay tuned as I'll hopefully show off the other football set I completed shortly.

As usual with Sportlots, one card pretty started things off in terms of making a new purchase, and this time it was the one above, a Jose Rodriguez (who?) from 2002 UD Honor Roll.  I'd been searching high and low for this card for quite a while, and then out of the blue it popped up in the search results for that set on the site.  For $1 plus shipping, not to mention three of the SP football cards above, I finally completed this set from 2002 UD Rookie Update, one that's been a thorn in my side for quite a while.  But now that it's complete, I'm feeling pretty damn good.  Can you guess why?  I'll give you a hint:  here's what my baseball set wantlist looks like right now:


That's it.  NOTHING.  I seriously have no idea when the last time was that my baseball set wantlist was empty in all my years of collecting.  In a way it's a bittersweet moment as it pretty much signals the end of my days as a set-builder, but the fact is that newer products haven't interested me, and neither have box prices.  But that's totally fine because it's led to my new focus of player collecting, which has given me a refreshing new lease on the hobby.

That's not to say I won't ever collect any more sets, baseball or otherwise, but if I do it'll be a much smaller part of my collecting experience.

Keep an eye out for one more football-centric You Complete Me post, hopefully this week!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing your sets. I'm not much of a set builder either. My friends and I open a box once a month so I usually try to complete what we open, but thats it. I spend enough money on the Pirates and WVU cards anyway....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, happy to have those done so I can enjoy the feeling of accomplishment.

      And you seem to have done pretty well with the stuff you've posted from boxes, but considering how nice your single pickups are, I'm not surprised you spend more money there, and I'd say you're doing pretty well in that regard too!

      Delete