Monday, April 7, 2014

2014 COMC pickups #5: 1984 was 30 years ago?!

The last bunch of my COMC pickups thus far this year have a pretty cool theme:  star players from the Tigers' 1984 World Series title.  I'm pretty sure you've all heard of them before, so I'll just get right to it:
Kirk Gibson 2002 Topps Archives Reserve
Gibby was the fire that fueled this team to victory, and his pair of game five homers, including the second off a stubborn Goose Gossage, comprise what's likely my favorite World Series memory ever.

To honor that, here's a sweet looking card that reprints a Gibson from...1988?  Whatever you say, Topps.  I just love the Refractor-y look, and for $0.50 I couldn't go wrong.  Archives Reserve had some amazing looking base cards and hits, and if they could bring it back at a realistic price point, I'd probably jump all over it.  I know, I know, I'll keep dreaming.
Kirk Gibson 2005 Classic Clippings Official Box Score (#1671/1988)
Speaking of 1988, Gibson's OTHER big World Series moment, which I hear is slightly more famous than his heroics of 1984, occurred on October 15, as this box score insert reminds us.  If you've seen more than one of these you know that Fleer cut down the box score to highlight the moment the card celebrates, and as you might expect, since Gibby was pinch-hitting and, you know, ended the game, he's right there at the bottom.  This is a cool concept that's been used just a bit in the last decade and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it.  Baseball is a game that relies upon and celebrates its history, so why not?

Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker 1993 Finest
Besides Gibson, how about the legendary double play combo that included the 1984 World Series MVP and the All-Star, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger 2B who often set the table and scored lots of runs?  I scored this pair from the iconic '93 Finest set for around $1 as I was just about out of credit a month or two ago, and I immediately knew it would be fun to show them off together.

Lou Whitaker 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Debut Game Bat bat
However, I did land a card of just Whitaker to show off as well, this sweet bat relic that cost me just $5.  My Tigers PC is also home to a couple other Tigers from the same set--Trammell and Freehan.  This "Sweet" Lou is just a bit sweeter, though, since it's my first relic of the should-be HOF second baseman.  A bat card is certainly appropriate for a guy who hit .276 with 244 HR in his 19 seasons, matching up well with Hall member Ryne Sandberg, who never won a title like Lou did.  Anyway, I hope to land a "real" certified auto (this one's not quite what I would count) to put together a sweet trifecta!

With the site still in rebuilding mode (though for the better, it'll be great!), I may take a month off from buying things on COMC, but rest assured you'll see more new stuff from there on this blog soon.  If you need that fix in the meantime, please head over to Too Many Manninghams, where I'm showing off my Michigan-related pickups from the first few months of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment