Well, I happen to be reaching for content today, but I have a slightly different question to pose to those of you reading this: how successful have your hometown/favorite teams been in your lifetime? What got me thinking about this was the relative feast-or-famine we've got going on in Detroit. Here's a look at how the four Detroit teams have fared since I was born in 1983:
- Finals (World Series) appearances: 2 (1984, 2006)
- Championships: 1 (1984)
- Finals appearances: 5 (1987-88, 1988-89, 1989-90, 2003-04, 2004-05)
- Championships: 3 (1988-89, 1989-90, 2003-04)
Lions: yeah, um, NEXT...
- Finals appearances: 6 (1994-95, 1996-97, 1997-98, 2001-02, 2007-08, 2008-09)
- Championships: 4 (1996-97, 1997-98, 2001-02, 2007-08)
That gives me 13 finals appearances and eight total championships over almost 29 years worth of four major sports teams--and that's without the Lions contributing a single thing! I'd say that's not too bad: we can't ALL be Boston, New York or California-born fans, and if I'm seeing a pro sports title about every three to four years, I'm fairly happy with that.
I'm curious to see what some of you come up with: more/fewer? More finals but fewer titles? Fewer available sports teams but more titles? Let me know in the comments or throw up a post about this on your own blog if you get the inclination. It's definitely a good way of gaining perspective when you feel like it's been a while since you've been able to enjoy a title run, or if that's ALL you've been doing lately!
Update: So far a couple awesome bloggers have stepped up with posts of their own, which I think is great. I'll be happy to highlight more if anyone else comes up with them.
- Eric, Manupatches & Mustaches: Denver, Colorado
- Robert, $30 a Week Habit: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Matt, Tenets of Wilson: St. Louis, Missouri
- AJ, The Lost Collector: New York
- NY Yankees - 5 (I won't count the Mets since I don't like them)
- Knicks - Big Fat 0
- Rangers - 1
- Giants - 4 Super Bowls (although I'm not a Giants fan...but still, they are an NY team)
- Kyle, Juuust a Bit Outside: Kansas City, Missouri