Tuesday, August 20, 2013

You Complete Me is back again...again, Part 1

That's right, after another marathon run of searching SportLots and optimizing packages based on shipping costs, I have 11 more You Complete Me packages to show you (plus a future one from COMC very soon to close things out).  Some were large, some were small, and most included one or more Michigan PC cards as well, which will be on display over on the other blog soon.

As I did last time, before I get started I just want to detail my starting point:

Baseball:  7 sets left, 122 cards needed
Football:  9 sets left, 297 cards needed

And a quick note for each sport that I don't think I previously mentioned:  two sets I thought were incomplete--2004 Leaf Second Edition baseball and 2011 Topps Super Bowl Legends--were actually complete.  For the former, I hadn't realized that a couple cards weren't made, which explains why I couldn't find them.  As for the latter, due to their Roman numeral numbering, I didn't realize they hadn't produced one card for every Big Game (and didn't think to consult a checklist).  No harm done as I'm very to knock two more sets off the list with no effort or cost to me!

Ok, without further ado, on to today's packages:

Envelope #1 (SportLots):
Since it's the oldest set on my baseball wantlist (excluding the complete sets I'm looking for, which don't count here), I decided to attack Topps' huge low-end offering from 2002 this time.  When I started my search I needed 28 from this set, which actually isn't bad considering there's 990 cards overall; still, I wanted to get this one done ASAP.  Right down the middle is the key card of the package, a Chase Utley RC.  I nabbed that and the two others from this particular seller due to his excellent price for the Utley.  You'll probably notice quickly how much I broke up my sources for this and the other sets when you see the rest of the packages.
# of cards:  3
# of sets added to:  1
# of sets completed:  0

Envelope #2 (SportLots):
Here's another 2002 Topps Total card, depicting DeShields in his swan song 2002 season.  The Pettitte hails from 2009 Topps, from which I needed 13 cards on day one.  Andy went 2-0 in the Yanks' World Series win over Philly, and 4-0 overall that postseason, proving he still had plenty left in the tank.  Since 2010 Bowman Chrome cards are awful to scan, I'll help you out--that's Oakland prospect Rashun Dixon, a former 10th-rounder who hasn't cracked the big team's roster just yet.  From that set I started off needing 12 cards.
# of cards:  3
# of sets added to:  3
# of sets completed:  0

Envelope #3 (SportLots):
Well, that first set sure looks familiar.  The Bay, like the Utley above, is a RC, but considering how far his star has fallen, this one didn't set me back much.  Along with him is Pettitte's PED partner-in-crime, career asshole Roger Clemens.  Joining that duo is Haloti Ngata, who was Ngata bad first-round pick for the Ravens in 2006.  That card hails from 2006 Bowman, and I had 10 cards to go at the start of this latest run.
# of cards:  3
# of sets added to:  2
# of sets completed:  0

Envelope #4 (SportLots):
Yeah, these two aren't much easier to read as another pair from 2010 Bowman Chrome.  On the left is Rockies 2009 first-round pitcher Rex Brothers, who's had some success as a reliever the last couple years.  Joining him is Jaff "don't call me Jeff" Decker, a San Diego 2008 first-round pick who's gotten some ABs with the Padres this year.  Yes, these are both extremely curved, but I don't especially care, thought maybe I'll flatten them out someday.
# of cards:  2
# of sets added to:  1
# of sets completed:  0

Envelope #5 (SportLots):
Closing things out today, we have--oh look, it's more 2002 Topps Total.  Anybody remember when Kotchman was a big-time prospect for the Halos?  The son of a California/Anaheim/Los Angeles of Anaheim of California of Earth scout, he appeared to have a bright future, but like many before him (and many to come), he never lived up to that potential.  Meanwhile, I had to look up Shanks because I'd never heard of him, which is saying something considering how much I collect and follow the sport.  He was a 1998 21st-rounder, meaning Topps might have been taking "Total" literally!  He's been playing independent ball since 2007.
# of cards:  2
# of sets added to:  1
# of sets completed:  0

Stats for the day:
  • Packages:  5
  • Total cards:  13
  • Sets added to:  4
  • Sets completed:  0

Total You Complete Me stats:
  • Packages:  5
  • Total cards:  13
  • Sets added to:  4
  • Sets completed:  0
As usual I didn't complete anything on the first day, but no worries because I have plenty more to come, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment