Saturday, September 26, 2026

2026 trade package #16: Bump and Run Football Card Blog

I'm back to show off an August trade package on a day I knew would be bittersweet, but unfortunately ended with mostly a bitter note. Justin Verlander made his final MLB start in what ended up being a walk-off homer win for the good guys. Then Michigan Football left Iowa in the game too long and suffered their own last-second loss after the (correctly called) season-opener against Western Michigan. It always sucks to lose, but it happens and I'll move on. I mean, the Tigers lost more than they won this season and it didn't kill my year.

And anyway, I still have this fantastic hobby to enjoy. Tonight that means I get to celebrate a trade package from Trevor of the Bump and Run Football Card Blog. Trevor has some things going on that I know make blogging, trading, and doing other things difficult for him, so when I say that I appreciate him sending these cards my way, I really do mean it. I'm grateful that he found the time and energy to do so, plus what he picked out for me turned out great:

On the baseball side of things we open with this year's starting catcher, Dillon Dingler, and a 1B/DH of yesteryear in Cecil Fielder. Both hail from Topps Chrome Platinum and Big Daddy's card is Prizm Refractor. It's nice to see fan favorites like Cecil in newer products.

Former Tiger Skubal gets to head back to the playoffs, this time with the usual favorites, the Dodgers, and believe me when I say I'm not rooting against him, just for a different team to win. You see him down the middle there on a Chrome-ified trio from Bowman Chrome and Finest, including a Mojo Refractor.

Speaking of Refractors, IF Trey Sweeney stars on that parallel from Topps Chrome, whereas he hasn't starred or even played in the Majors since a poor '25 season and shoulder injury.

The man of the day, JV, joins Skubal from that Finest release, and he truly was the finest Tigers pitcher of this century, good for 183 wins, ROY and Cy Young/MVP seasons, five playoff appearances, and two Pennants. I'm sure I'll put together some sort of career and collecting retrospective given the name of this here blog!

Last up from baseball is one of the offense's few top performers, OF Riley Greene, in relic form. The Topps Heritage Clubhouse Collection jersey of the young star who made his third straight All-Star team in '26. It wasn't a career season for the former first-rounder, as he had fewer hits and HR than last year (in fewer games), but did cut down on strikeouts big time and increased his batting average and OBP. At least we should get to enjoy him a bit longer before he hits free agency in a few seasons. For now that's my second relic of Riley and fourth hit overall.

Like I said, my favorite football team lost, but that's happened to each of the guys in this scan, and they were actually the ones playing, so I'll live with it. First, the shiny Collector's Edge card of HOF DB Ty Law--who won three Super Bowls--is numbered to 3000 on the back, and is a nice addition to one of my football PCs that's over 100+. McCarthy's had little time to find success in the NFL, and hasn't done enough when given a chance, but he did go and win a National Title, so he's got that going for him. You see him above on a Score Throwback insert in his Maize & Blue uni along with a Score-a-Treat issue that would fit right in in a post a week from today when it's October.

Joining him from that set is Charles Woodson, another HOF DB and one who won BOTH college and NFL titles. I have 401 cards of one of the greatest to play for Michigan and in the NFL. And last up is a very cool Press Pass Big Numbers die-cut of one of my college favorites, possession WR Jason Avant, who wore #8 (like one of my MLB favorites, Cal Ripken Jr.). He missed out on the Eagles' success by a bit but was fun to watch, and I love this card combining a jersey number I love with an awesome die-cut design.

Trevor, thanks again for thinking of me with these great new cards! I may actually be able to send you a decent return before long. Until then, please be well and take care of yourself, and enjoy the hobby however you can.

I'll try to be back before the calendar flips to another month with more. Until then here's hoping for Michigan Football to pick itself back up, and for the Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox to flame out in the MLB playoffs!

1 comment:

  1. As soon as clips of Verlander hugging his daughter and walking off the mound starting popping up yesterday on YT and FB... I immediately thought of you. What a stellar career.

    ReplyDelete