Saturday, July 20, 2024

4/5/2024 show report: Christmas in April

Tonight's post is one of two I know of that I need to finish out the month of April. This one's a quick summary of the monthly Taylor show I got to on 4/5.

I spent a yearly low there of $45 (with the exception of the second show I got to in January to buy from Sluggo's Sports Cards at the event in Kalamazoo) but still came home with some cool stuff.

First up is some trade bait:

I love me some 90s inserts! The Akili Smith is spoken for but everything else is still up for grabs. McNown's Gridiron Kings card is actually the Canvas version as it's one of the first 500 printed (#0090/5000).

As for my keepers,
As far as I can remember it was mostly a dime/quarter box kind of day. I added a trio of cards featuring a couple of Detroit's recent top prospects, double-"Js" Jackson Jobe and Jace Jung, largely thanks to a prospect-heavy Donruss product. Next is a pair of classic Tigers, Kaline and Pesky, though of course the latter is much more famous for his eight seasons (and namesake Fenway Park feature) than the three with the Tigers. A couple Ginter Ripkens bump his total up as he nears the 1300-card mark in my collection. And former UM pitcher (on a Wolverine-ish airbrushed photo card) Steve Hajjar is the source of this post's title with a 2022 Leaf Holidays-related product and its Happy Holidays autograph set. That's my third signature of the left who's in Cleveland's system.
I also found a couple scans' worth of football stuff between the dime/quarter and dollar boxes. Bell would look better in a Blue parallel, of course, but Red works for his current team, the Niners, plus at least the card has a great college action photo. Transfer RB Charbonnet is one of three guys in these two scans (K Jake Moody and TE Luke Schoonmaker are the others) to pop up thanks to the Retail versions of their Panini Absolute RCs (you can tell as they lack serial numbers on the front as opposed to the hobby cards). The two shiny Funchess parallels are numbered /70 and /75 so I didn't mind throwing down a buck each. QB Grbac features on a pretty cool early Bowman Chrome insert. I may be slowly (and unintentionally) working on Ty Law's Mosaic rainbow, we'll see. And Paye would also benefit from an upgrade of Red to Blue on a Press Proof version of his Donruss RC.
The previously-mentioned Schoonmaker gets almost an entire scan to himself thanks to a rookie-related quartet, one of which is a Prizm Draft card with a great shot of him in action for the Wolverines. And joining my non-sport/misc. Wolverines category is broadcaster Rich Eisen. The New York native is a fan of the Jets (for some reason) but has done a great job over his career of lauding the Wolverines and celebrating the school where he earned his undergrad degree while being a co-editor for the sports section of the Michigan Daily.

I'll try to be back soonish with my last April post and maybe even post a bit more frequently so I can get caught up a bit more.

9 comments:

  1. That Eisen card is cool. I've enjoyed seeing the different celebrities and broadcasters featured on the different Fans of the Game cards over the years. And I've really enjoyed watching the simulcast videos of Eisen running against other players in the draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some of those broadcasters are cool and only a couple are ones I find obnoxious. Yep, I don't think old Rich is gonna outrun anybody at the draft, even the big linemen!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Dennis!

    I need to locate that Eisen myself at some point. I have always liked watching him on NFL network.

    I do like the Brunell, Hel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helton and Cade

      Also, keep an eye out in the mail next week :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Are you claiming the Helton and McNown? Also, those PWEs of yours already arrived!

      Delete
  3. Always nice to see a kicker in a card set. I didn't know Eisen was a Michigan grad. The Edwards and Grbac inserts are neat, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I hope Moody has a better sophomore season in the NFL after such an excellent college career. You know I'm all over it if someone's a Michigan alum!

      Delete
  4. The '04 Sweet Spot Classic was such a wonderful design. Lots of great photos in the set too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does! I can't get enough of those and wish they were still around.

      Delete