Thursday, July 11, 2024

2024 trade package #7: the Collector


Happy July, y'all! With the NBA and NHL done for a bit, it's the time of year when baseball gets to shine before the return of college football next month. Let's celebrate by looking at some cards from all four major sports sent to me by Chris, the Collector, back in April.
Miggy most certainly was a star of the MLB over his 21 seasons, and it's bittersweet to see the back of his final Topps Chrome base card packed with his career numbers. Faedo, Manning, and Mize are all trying to bring some Mojo back to the Tigers' rotation (though it's mostly been the bats plus Kenta Maeda letting them down), and Faedo could potentially find himself back in a starting role soon while Manning tries to get right at AAA Toledo. The Verlander /75 is probably the best (and at least my favorite) card in this package, and I'm glad he got to celebrate two World Series titles because the villainous Astros are so easy to root against.

Flipping over to basketball, Chris did a nice job IDing a few former Wolverines I collect, mostly in colorful/shiny form. Iggy's been out of the league but was fun in college. It's crazy to me that THJ will be in his 12th NBA season later this year, and it's possible he'll be suiting up for the Pistons which is even cooler.
Finishing up with basketball we have a Crown Royale insert that evokes the heyday of Pacific, and this one stars another Wolverine/Piston combo, Isiah Livers, though he's not longer with the team. The card is numbered /75 just like Verlander's above and the blue goes well both with the Pistons' colors and those of his college team.

Repping the reigning NCAA champs of football, we begin with a Prizm base of stud defender Rashan Gary, a pass-rushing terror who's earned a good amount of respect in the NFL. Speaking of champs, we all know Griese led a team of them back in 1997-98 before a solid journeyman pro career. McKeon is yet another Michigan alum to have latched on with a Detroit team this offseason, signing with the Lions after four seasons with the team that drafted him, the Cowboys (and that card looks awesome thanks to its college action photo, though it would be even better if the border was something less Ohio-ish!). And lastly, a current Cowboy, Mazi Smith (seen on a Panini Mosaic RC) has a lot of work to do to live up to his first-round billing.

Would it really be an envelope of cards from Chris without some hockey content? No ex-Wolverines this time, but no problem there because I have plenty of love for the Wings too, especially the guys from the teams that were super successful for a good chunk of my life. The late Petr Klima, the first Czech player to defect directly to a team in the US (as opposed to Canada), is seen on his 1988-89 Topps base, and I remember him a bit from his early career in Detroit before wandering the league a bit and then returning briefly in 1998/99. And of course I'll always remember the Captain (1992-93 Stadium Club) for his 22 years and three Stanley Cups in Hockeytown, none bigger than 1996-97 when the Cup finally, finally returned to Detroit.

Chris, thanks again for thinking of me and sending some great new stuff my way! I'm slowly building up some interesting (and not entirely cardboard-based) stuff for you so I can return the favor in the near future. Until then, I hope things are going well with your wife's health situation, and I want to remind you that you've got a bunch of friends pulling for you and willing to help.

That does it for my April trades so next up will either be a quick Facebook Marketplace purchase recap or a look at my haul from that month's Taylor show.

6 comments:

  1. Big fan of Gary. Was very happy when the Packers locked him up for four more years. Outside of picking up a single Jordan Love rookie card, I haven't actively gone out seeking Packers lately... but I probably should add some of his rookie cards to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can also see if I have any dupes of Gary (or other Packers) for you. Yeah, he's a lot of fun to watch on the field and is great at getting pressure even if he can't always finish with a sack.

      Delete
  2. Glad you like the cards, it was nice to have a card show haul to share (for once). Even though I'd already sent you a few prior PWEs I couldn't resist that Verlander. Once I saw that another stack just kinda piled up, lol. The Livers was incredibly cool regardless, but once I realized he was a Michigan man I knew it belonged with you.

    Thanks again for the support Dennis. It's been a rough summer here, but we're getting through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for some extremely cool stuff, like I said, and for all the thought you put into everything you send me. We'll keep the support going, and best to your family, Chris!

      Delete
  3. Looks like Chris has been hitting up the shiny boxes. I'm not familiar with the player, but the Rookie Royalty card sure is nice for a modern die-cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure was! That die-cut was a nice callback to the days of Pacific for sure.

      Delete