Friday, November 17, 2023

11/3/23 show report: showvember

While I don't feel like putting the effort into a trade post this evening I did feel motivated enough to cover my pickups from this month's show.

I can't remember the exact breakdown but I spent $40 at my favorite seller's tablet, split up into dimes, $0.50ers, $1s, and $2s, then another $20 at the table of the vintage guy that's there about 80% of the time. Most of the higher value stuff is headed for trade packages which is generally my goal, so this was another successful show for me.

But as usual I also have some trade bait and personal keepers.

First up, the cards that are/were available for trades:

I made more of an effort to get some baseball bait since I know lots of folks that follow me aren't as interested in other sports like football. The top three cards are all samples which seemed like the kind of thing that can be hard-to-find. Then there's a nice bunch of numbered stuff: Finley is /999 (hey, Pacific!); the Johnsons are /1199 and 500; Morales is /2013; the Wandy cards are /399 and 500.
I included the backs of the three promos as the two Portraits cards are slightly different.

Butler's a '92 Diamond King that I couldn't pass up along with some other amazing cards from my favorite decade that absolutely scream "90s inserts rule!" Bernie's from the amazing Pacific Paramount Fielder's Choice insert, this from '99. The acetate/die-cut Walker is SN5000 and from one of my favorite Donruss Studio inserts. Belle and Williams hail from a '96 Select chase set called Claim to Fame, and they aren't individually numbered but do claim to be "1 of 2100 produced" on the back. And the other Williams is from Pinnacle's Summit Hitters Inc. insert, and that's also numbered, to 4000 copies.

As of this post everything above is still available!
The football bait is once again largely numbered stuff mixed in with a few cool looking items and one hit this time. Numbering for those who care: Battle /350; Cunningham /299; Jammer /400; Johnson /500; Jue /1499; Keller /250; Meachem already traded; Piscitelli /200; Smith already traded.
Mostly numbered again but there's two that aren't because they looked cool enough on their own. The third card in this scan is a '97 Pacific team checklist for the Falcons with a couple see-through windows. Number four is a Score Future Franchise that pairs up Dez White and Cade McNown (I know, I know--it was 2000, nobody knew better!). Numbered cards: Tuiasosopo /1250; Wells /500; Williams /899; Foster /2002; Gates /999; Greene /500; Minnis /999. And yes, it's nice to see so much Pacific in here while I continue reading Mike Cramer's book!
Finishing off the football, I threw in the back of the White/McNown since it fit. The numbered cards are Mitchell /4000; Robinson /350; Robinson /4000; Young /750. And lastly, the Brown/Clayton/White triple jersey was something like $2 (and is numbered /100) so it seemed like a good trade bait pickup.

As for my keepers, mostly from the dime box:
I think everything here was a dime except for the Gibby/Harwell and Ripken. Granderson's Heritage issue is an SP but I don't have to care since I only had to pay a dime. It was nice finding a few other PCs at that price as well. Meanwhile, the Gibson/Harwell 2004 Fleer Greats Announcing Greats insert was a buck or two and isn't even numbered, but it was too cool to leave behind! And Cal's '96 Finest Refractor was one of the $3 or 8/$20 cards I snagged from the guy that mostly deals in vintage, and the $2.50 cost was totally fine with me as it's a beaut.
I don't know why I had so much luck finding new cards of '23 Series champ Max Scherzer in the dime boxes but I had no reason to put them back. This little stack features some solid designs like Phoenix and Optic, Stadium Club and Chrome. It doesn't matter to me that all of them have him pictured with the team he helped win his first ring, the Nats, because he's one of those ex-Tigers I continue to collect, if not put much money into.
The basketball and football fit into one scan and I believe all of these were dimes except for one. My last post featured a nice number of LeVert cards and I found two of my own here of the shiny variety out of Panini products. While the Refractor-like Prizm card is quite nice, the Orange Donruss parallel with its rays of light is the winner in my book.

Flipping over to the gridiron and a team I'm rooting for to finish out Jim Harbaugh's suspension with two wins and no distractions, we actually start with a current player. Corum and the other RBs haven't shown the explosive play-making ability they brought last year but he continues to live in the end zone, already equaling last year's 18 TDs on the ground despite almost 100 fewer carries. I happily chipped in a buck for the Bowman U card you see above, plus I snagged one for Jeff while I was at it because he'd do the same for me.

The other three are dime inserts I was more than happy to dig out of the boxes. Ex-WR Darboh can be seen on a Prizm parallel of his Optic rookie, and there's that "Rated Rookie" logo I love so much. QB Elvis Grbac was the back half of another Score Future Franchise insert like the one you saw above, and RB Sylvester Morris was the "future" guy up front. He'd play 15 games for KC in 2000 as a first-rounder and then completely disappear from the league. One guy who's still around and causing havoc for NFL offenses is Kwity Paye, seen here on an Orange parallel of his '21 Panini Playbook RC (with just the area you see up top changed to orange). He's got 4.5 sacks for Indy this year putting him on pace to beat his career high of 6.0 from last season. He's also equaled his career best two fumble recoveries from his rookie season with lots of time left to pad that number.

I'll get back to trade posts shortly but hope you all enjoyed yet another look at my monthly trip to Taylor which was a good time as always for me.

13 comments:

  1. Would love Bernie Williams and the Todd Walker and pacific football checklist
    Matt- CardsOverCoffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also didn’t know you collected Max! Will have to keep an eye out now

      Delete
    2. I don't really chase Max's stuff but I'll take it if someone sends it to me. And those three are all yours, I'll put them in your pile!

      Delete
  2. I've been itching to go to a card show for quite awhile since dealing with the move and am looking to finally do it on Friday. I know quarter boxes are the new dime boxes and dollar boxes are the new quarter boxes (and best to be avoided), but I still have high hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an awesome show! Love that Bernie Fielder's Choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! And I'm enjoying Pacific parallels even more while reading Mike Cramer's book

      Delete
  4. That Ripken refractor for $3 is one heck of a find. Didn't see any deals like that at the show I attended this morning. I would have been all over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite happy with it for sure. I hope you had a great time at your show, though, Fuji!

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy seeing your show pickups, and the trade bait is always tempting. Some really nice inserts here. I'm sure you'll be able to find a taker for the Hard Hats Todd Walker and Fielder's Choice Bernie Williams in particular.


    Your keeper finds were impressive as always- that Grandy SP and Ripken refractor for sure. I might have a Scherzer or two I can send your way..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! And Matt (Cards Over Coffee) already claimed those inserts, and I had a feeling he might jump on some of the cool 90s inserts.

      Delete
  6. I like the sunburst effect that Panini was doing with some of their Donruss parallels. It was one of those rare effects too that seemed to look good on any colored parallel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like that too, it's not really used that often when you think about it. Nice catch!

      Delete