Tuesday, October 10, 2023

2023 Facebook purchases: in the market for some lots!

I'm just gonna go ahead and warn you right now that this post will be image-heavy, but that's because I'll be showing off both some keepers and stuff available to all of you reading this here post. Just be aware!

So, I think you all know that I've had some pretty reasonable luck buying cards and card-related items via Facebook Marketplace. Well tonight I'm back with two more success stories, one small and one much larger.

First, back in mid-August, I headed maybe 30 minutes north of Ann Arbor to check out a garage sale that had been advertised on Marketplace, because the helpful pictures included a number of interesting card items. While the recent blasters on hand were naturally overpriced, I picked up a bunch of things that weren't. The total they gave me for the items below was $37:

A box of 2018 Heritage base and a misc. 2021/2022 box that was mostly Topps brands with a bit of Panini mixed in. $10 and $5.
A couple of these sets of Lions McDonald's/Fleer GameDay sheets. I got one each for John and Paul at $5 per.
A couple Griffey Starting Lineups (still unopened!) that I didn't already have, for another $5 each.
Two sets of '94 Post still sealed ($2 each), one of which went to Paul, and six packs of early 90s Conlon for $0.50 each.

I was quite happy with that haul, and if you want to see some highlights of the boxed/packed stuff, here you go:

Some of the best pulls from the Conlon packs. What a beautiful, if simple, product, filled with HOFers, stars, forgotten players, and more than a century of baseball history!
Some stacks from the misc. '21/'22 box. I pulled a lot out for trade packages (and a few for myself) but may list some on TCDb soon.
The 2018 Heritage box was definitely worth the price since I'm sure I'll be able to trade a bunch, plus I was able to flip some SPs that were left in there already.
My keepers, 1 of 2. All former Tigers (except one, for now...), mostly on other teams, but that's cool.
My keepers, 2 of 2. More ex-Tigers from recent-ish Topps brands.


Overall I was quite happy with that score, especially since it yielded a nice amount of trade bait for some of my favorite folks.

Less than a month later I found a guy selling a mixed lot in my hometown of Livonia for the very reasonable price of $50. I didn't see the point in haggling when the pictures made it look pretty interesting. By the time I got over there he'd continued to add stuff to the pile, and he let me know that he'd purchased a larger collection and was dumping some of it he didn't need/want/feel like dealing with. In that case I'd say we both got a great deal.

There was a LOT to go through, and these images will give you a small taste of what things looked like before I really started sorting through it all:

This big-ass tub was filled with boxes and albums. The set boxes fooled me as a couple were factory set boxes from early 90s UD, but they had more interesting stuff inside, as it turned out.
There was a ton of really oddball stuff mixed in, such as these vending machine capsule helmets, oversized stuff, and even a few packs, most of which I opened.
The monster box was a blast to dig through and I came up with some great stuff for myself, pending trade packages, and more. Oh, and back to oddball, there were a couple EA games as well.
My favorite album contained a bunch of these 1980 Topps Superstar photos, many of which have already been earmarked for packages, though there's still some that can be claimed below.
The unopened stuff was mostly mid-80s Donruss All-Star oversized cards, but there was also this bunch of Fun Food Pins, which were mostly Cal plus Willie McGee.

Now I'll give you a quick look at what I kept and then a very brief summary of what's up for grabs.
Regular-ish baseball, 1 of 3. Those Detroit News cards are pretty cool when I can find them.
Baseball 2 of 3. Lots of Scherzer adds between the lots today!
Baseball 3 of 3: the Cecil was a fun find, and I also decided to hang on to the Smith for my collection of star and HOF baseball RCs.
Simba and Chester are the two Topps photos I kept.
The Cal up top is actually a 5x7 box-topper and not from the slightly smaller boxed set made of the Ripken Collection insert. The pin and Topps Big items are new to me as well.
Hell yeah, new Studio portraits of Mr. Padre and the Professor!
Not much individual stuff from the other sports but these were all pretty cool. I believe the Webber Pog-like item was popped out of a card that included another one. The Collins and Hoard are oversized Pacific cards, and there are a LOT more available below.
Some near and complete sets from baseball and football, including:
  • 1990 Swell Baseball Greats (currently missing 10/135)
  • 1991 Swell Baseball Greats (missing 22/150)
  • 1991 Score Rookie/Traded complete set of 110
  • 1994 Pinnacle Series II (missing 12/270)
  • 1991 Topps Toys "R" Us Rookies unopened box set of 33
  • 1992 Pinnacle Rookies unopened box set of 30
  • 1993 Pinnacle Joe DiMaggio unopened box set of 30
  • 1991 Classic (football) unopened sealed (in two parts) set of 50
  • 1994 UD Miller Lite/Tombstone Super Bowl Showdown complete set of 5
  • 1990-91 Pro Set Super Bowl XXV Silver Anniversary Commemorative opened box set of 160 (note: I still have an unopened one of these available from the big Facebook collection I bought a few years ago)
Ok, now that I've got all that covered, here are things that are available to those of you who made it this far. As usual, please go ahead and claim things in the comments. Nothing's up on TCDb yet but will be soon. If I know you I'll probably just go ahead and send you what you pick out, otherwise I'll respond to try to work out a trade. And of course, I've already pulled a lot of stuff for soon-to-be sent trade packages, so if you don't see much of anything you want here, rest assured a lot of you already have nice stacks going!
Best of the baseball stuff by far. Witt (Sr., of course) looks to be IP/TTM.
More nice baseball singles.
Some numbered, parallels, and more.
Mostly numbered parallels.
Parallels that aren't numbered. Carmona's Refractor has some surface damage that's pretty clear.
Lots of stacks of commons, some fairly recent. The biggest is from '95 Collector's Choice SE and I already pulled a bunch for my team collector buddies, but if you've got wants please let me know!
'96 UD Ripken Collection oversized box set (minus the box, plus some rough edges/corners).
More oversized stuff. Can't say I'd seen the A-Rod flip book before.
This doesn't appear to be a team set of D-Backs Pinnacle Snapshots but there's a nice bunch.
Big and not quite as large.
Available Topps photos.
Big stack of Donruss puzzle cards (heavy on Willie Stargell), no complete sets, plus some various stickers (mostly Fleer) and UD holograms.
Donruss Action All-Stars.
This Cleveland Indians bear thing is next to some of those aforementioned football helmets, and that'll transition us into the football stuff:
Again, a mix of oversized and slightly less oversized. The Master Photos are quite cool in my opinion.
More oversized stuff of the Pacific and UD variety.
Hockey begins with this very cool binder. I'm giving Chris (the Collector) first right of refusal on it because that Hartford logo makes me think of him immediately, but he may turn it down.
A couple more oversized pieces
'91-'92 Seventh Inning Sketch OHL and WHL near sets. OHL's missing 64/382 (plus 7 of the 16 Teams insert), WHL's missing 11/359.
A couple hockey complete sets. On the left, 1991 Ultimate Draft, a 90-card set (with some dinged corners). On the right, 1991 Arena Draft Picks, a complete in box 33-card set, though the cards definitely got bricked and are a bit worse for wear after I pulled them apart.

And last up is the misc. category:
Pins, coins, the two EA games, and two unopened packs of Olympics cards.

Again, there was so much more, from the less exciting stuff from the monster box that will likely head to my TCDb trade list, and some very cool stuff I pulled for many of you already, much of which was of the oddball/oversized variety. Still, I'd be happy to see more of the above go to good homes, so please throw out some requests if you're so inclined.

As for me, I continue to try to organize things in boxes for "to list on TCDb" and "to dump back to Facebook Marketplace because this is junk and taking up space!" And you know I'm still keeping my eye on the site for good deals like these.

17 comments:

  1. There were a few things that interest me. I collect Edwin Moreno and Derrick Gibson, so those 3 cards.
    Also, anything I need from the ‘15-‘18 Topps stacks you have. I’m almost done entering all of my Topps cards into TCDB (a little over 1 team left), and then I can generate wantlists (username is: Karensjer). I have a few cards set aside for you but I can probably find some more off of your lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeremy, those are now in your pile (had a few others set aside from you). Please let me know when you've finished updating your TCDb wants and I'll see what I can do for you. I also sent you a friend request there from my FreehanSolo account.

      Delete
  2. Sweet Simba! I love the old-school helmet. I'll have to look out for one of those one of these days.

    I have never dipped a toe into Facebook Marketplace, mostly because of the few glances I've given it just look like I'd be dealing with mostly delusional people who think they're sitting on a fortune when they're not. I'm also not big on face-to-face direct transactions and situations that could result in haggling. It's encouraging to see that there are success stories, though. I'll have to keep it in consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of idiots for sure, plus I get the anti-social aspect, but once in a while it's worth it.

      Delete
  3. Wow, lots of cool stuff in those two purchases! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done on these purchases! Lots of good stuff. I've had a few finds on FB similar to the $50 bin you got, and always feel like I get my money's worth! Love that you do this, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know you tend to do really well with these so I do consider your successes when I look on FBM.

      Delete
  5. Wow, those are some nice lots! Whole lot of modern singles, with some vintage oddballs and a few stacks of singles for your PC - I'd say that was an A+ purchase! The SLU Griffeys, Pro Set XXV, and mini helmets are taking me back to childhood(I actually have an Oilers mini-helmet on my SLU shelf.)

    So.... I would be interested in the NHL team binder (thank you for thinking of me) but I don't want to claim too much or make you spend too much on postage when you're already shipping out so many other care packages. If it's not an issue for you, I will take it. No worries either way.

    That said, I've also been on the lookout for oversized cards as I have a couple extra 4-pocket pages I can fill. So if you're looking to clear space I will take Dan Marino, Zigmund Palffy, Boomer Esiason, and Reggie Cobb off your hands. I feel like I've claimed a lot from you already though. I was only going to ask for the two Derrick Gibson cards :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the grade! The binder's all yours as well as the other stuff you mentioned, and I hope you claim more since I'd be glad to fill up a flat-rate box for you with the binder and more.

      Delete
  6. Kerry Collins turf warriors?
    Simms/elway card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt-CardsOverCoffee

      Also, great lot of stuff. Impressive on the Griffey Starting lineups

      Delete
    2. No worries, I'd already set aside a Collins Turf Warriors for you since there were two :) . I also grabbed a Simms/Elway as well for your pile at your request.

      Delete
  7. Holy moly. I'd pretty much abandoned my Facebook card trawling but this post might just be the kick I need to look again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really never know! As much as it can be a waste of time, very occasionally it's not.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you got a lot for your money. Like pretty much everyone else, I'm amazed at how cheap the Griffey SLU's were, even more so considering how nice the packages look. Those Conlon packs would've been fun to open too. And even though I know nothing about hockey, that binder sure is nifty.

    ReplyDelete