Wednesday, October 11, 2023

10/6/23 card show report: cheap boxtober

I'm encouraged by the fact that I was able to get that Facebook Marketplace purchase post up last night so I'm back this evening to see if I can zip my way through another one. Because I'd like to give folks at least a couple days to look over that one and pick out potential trade bait, tonight I'm going to do the same with my show pickups from last Friday.

I continued my standard practice of taking the first Friday of the show off from work despite Michigan not playing until Saturday evening, largely because I feel like I might miss out on some good stuff if I wait a day. So early Friday afternoon I headed out to Taylor and spent around two or two and a half hours digging through lots of boxes. It was certainly worth the effort with the deals available that day. Dime cards were 100/$7 (and even better deals were there if you bought larger quantities but I'd had enough by then) and the next level up was quarter-ish cards at five/$1.

Here's a quick spending breakdown before I get to the scans:

  • 100 @ $0.10 each = $10
  • 125 @ 5/$1 = $25
  • 10 @ 2/$1 = $5
  • 7 @ 2$ = $14
  • 5 @ 5/$20 = $20
That's $74 and he asked for $70.

Before I left I hit up the vintage guy I check out once in a while and grabbed eight of his $3 cards that go eight for $20. That means I left having spent $90 on some 255 cards--not bad!

Here we go with some trade bait. Please make your requests via comment/email/TCDb offer as always.
UD Finite rookies /1299; Moments & Milestones /150.
More M&Ms /150.
The rest of the /150 M&Ms, plus a Black parallel /25. The Studio Stars inserts aren't SNed but look awesome.
Bonds /10,000; Brown /2000; Ensberg /2006; Giles /150; King /3499; Reynolds /500. 
Ayanbadejo /1000; Denson, Huard, and King /2999; Graham /399; Hali /999; Mason /2009; McNown /2500; Moore /2010.
Moreau /2000; Redman /2500; Stith /1500; Westbrook is a Promo; Williams /500.
Pettis, Schaub, and Shiancoe /999; Stith /1500; Williams /999.

And now we get to my keepers:
These six items are among the eight I snagged from the vintage guy for $20. I'm very short on Bunning Tigers cards (and Yankee Killer Lary as well), Cash is always a winner, and the quartet of '74 Topps Stamps was too cool to pass up, especially since it added a new Freehan to my collection.
The dimes and $0.20 cards were as good to my collection as they were to the piles of trade bait I'm building. A numbered Bondo, a new Grandy, another Griffey for the set from which his card hails, Mr. Padre, the Professor, a sweet acetate Manning, and three of the four new Cals I added that day.
A numbered Pudge for under a buck? Yes, please! Not only did I hit all four of Griffey/Gwynn/Maddux/Ripken, but I also got both blog namesakes too in Grandy and JV. Cecil looks cool in UD holo form. Ripken and Ozzie were All-Star stalwarts. And my first relic of Skubal, who put on an ace-like performance to end the 2023 campaign, is a 2021 jersey from A&G for just $2!
I didn't skip the other sports either, coming up with a sweet acetate Iggy plus a $2 signature of former star Trey Burke. That was such a nice deal I added a second one to send Jeff's way (since that's exactly what he would have done for me). It's just my second autograph of his among seven hits so I thought it was a particularly good score.

As for football, I came up with a couple more of those Donruss Premium Press Proofs, and I'll have to see how close I am to a team set at this point, but it was cool that they were RC parallels of Haskins and Ojabo. Law is a 2000s Ultra Gold Medallion, Funchess represents yet another sweet acetate insert, and we finish up with a final parallel, an Elite Pink, to add to Ojabo's growing collection.

I don't know how often my favorite seller will have those dime and $0.20 boxes but I've really been enjoying the time I've spent digging through them for gems so I hope to see them at upcoming shows.

Anyway, as usual, I hope you enjoyed a recap of my show experience, and I'll remind y'all one more time to please feel free to stake claims to some of the trade bait above!

As for me, besides packing up some envelopes soon, I think I may go back to the blogger trades I need to cover, then sprinkle in some eBay pickups and more TCDb transactions.

8 comments:

  1. It's always great to find dupes that we both need. That's a pretty good haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like it's rare for me to be able to pick up two of the same card at a time to get one for you as well so that was extra fun for me.

      Delete
  2. Is that artist proof Giambi still up for grabs? That looks like a beaut that belongs to me lol
    Matt-CardsOverCoffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vintage Tiger pickups are very nice, and so is that Burke auto. The Ripkens, Bondo, and Grandy at two dimes each were great grabs - but a Griffey insert??! That's a winner!

    The football trade bait is always so random and neat. I like the Huard and Westbrook, and the Martin insert is nice too. It's weird seeing the 2000 Fleer GOTG set with blue borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always for reading and commenting, Chris! You know me, no SN cards left behind when they're $0.20 or less. Good point that collectors like us are more used to whatever color you'd call those borders on the GOTG baseball version.

      Delete
  4. No comment from John about the Freehan stamp???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting he didn't see it. That was fun to find, though!

      Delete