Wednesday, July 12, 2023

2023 trade package #15: the Collector


Well we're more than halfway through the year and I still have a lot to catch up on in terms of cards to show off on my desk, though it's getting a bit better. It certainly helps when I actually post them and can get on to the next pile!

Tonight's envelope was yet another from one of my favorite trade partners (I have a lot of favorites), Chris of the Collector. We send stuff back and forth all the time, often without any warning, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened here because I don't remember him letting me know something was on the way.

Here's all the cardboard goodness he hit me with this time:
Now that's a nice pair of Miggy cards! I'm still partial to the 2001 Topps set so the Archives parallel is especially cool to me. Also, this is a great time to chastise MLB for not giving Cabrera the kind of send-off he deserves as much as guys like Pujols, Ortiz, and Jeter. Whatever, just another ball dropped under Rob Manfred's watch.

E-Rod's looking good in blue and I wonder if he'll be wearing a new jersey with that color (or any others) in just a few weeks. When I saw the Sabo I hoped it was one of those annoying to track down Gold Hologram versions, and it was! With the MLB draft all wrapped up I'm sure some fans are already giving up on Tork and looking ahead to some of the bats and arms the team took this week. Verlander was one of those arms way back, a rare good draft choice for the franchise. And underrated SS Carlos Guillen represents a trade that went in the Tigers favor plus a guy whose talent I appreciated during his eight years in Motown.
Sure, we've had some normal sized cards, but why not oversized? Back when Finest still looked like its own premium product, like 2000, you could snag a box topper like Mr. Padre above (and even a Refractor version!). Gwynn is #17 in the set so he would have been pulled from a Series 2 box while #s 1-10 were found in Series 1. It's a beauty and one I'll happily add to his collection.
Sticking with oversized stuff but going even more oddball, how about this thing? I'm sure those of you familiar with 90s stuff remember Stadium Club's Master Photo pieces, but did you know Topps collaborated with Toys'R'Us to produce a 100 card set that came with a bonus 12-card insert set that included the 5x7 above? Sure, just about any Tigers "prospect" they picked back then would have sucked, but it's still a very cool piece. Thanks, Chris!
One last scan will take care of the other three sports that made it into the package. The Fab-Fivers go well together, but while Webber's has the cooler design, King happens to be the subject of a recent feel-good story, returning to Michigan to finish up his degree in time to graduate with his daughter!

Heading over to football, Brady and Collins are notable guys from recent Panini Products, but Ojabo may be less well-known to non-Michigan fans (unless you're an Ohio State fan!), and of course you don't hear as much about SAGE as the major brands. Still, that's a very cool card of a guy who could be making some major noise in the league when he's fully healthy.

Lastly, we move onto the ice where Michigan just had another guy drafted in the Top 5, with Hobey-winner Adam Fantilli joining the Wolverine contingent in Columbus at #3 overall. The photography on the UD cards Chris sent me looks excellent as always, and I'm grateful that Larkin will continue to captain the Wings for years to come (with a pair of fellow ex-Wolverines to boot!). I wouldn't mind seeing another former top-10-er, Jacob Trouba, on Detroit's blue line. And lastly, I realized later when I had finished scanning everything that the Ultra Gold Medallion of front-of-the-net-maestro Tomas Holmstrom had fallen behind the scanner so I made sure to add it to this group.

Chris, thanks again for such a fun surprise envelope with some especially cool oversized items! I'm not sure when I'll be returning fire but best believe when I do you'll be getting the same quality coming back your way!

10 comments:

  1. I always enjoy building trade packages for you. Sometimes it takes a while and I don't always find unique items that fit your collection, but I was happy with this one. Glad to know that you are, too.

    Btw, I think that C-Webb is a Sky Blue parallel. And I'm not sure how I ended up with a handful of TRU Master Photos but none of the regular sized cards.

    Nice to see your Red Wings added another Michigan born star Alex DeBrincat (even if he didn't rep the Maize and Blue)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always send some bangers, Chris! I don't worry about getting anything unique and I don't mind waiting, it's always worth it. This was definitely a fun one. I believe you're right on the C-Webb. And it's funny that you had some TRU Master Photos but not any base, though come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've seen them around myself. Oh yeah, and I know some folks are pretty excited about DeBrincat coming home. Next season may be the best one for the Wings in quite a while. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I've of course seen (and own) Stadium Club master photos, but the idea of Toys R Us master photos is kind of breaking my brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't tell you if I was aware of those myself but I lean towards no. Even though I know the two collaborated a bit, it's still kind of surprising to see something I associate so much with just Stadium Club tied to TRU, but it works!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's a gem for sure! (Sorry) A very cool larger version of his subset appearance, and a good looking one at that, I agree.

      Delete
  4. Of the couple of parallels from the 1997-98 SPx set, the blue ones are by far the best looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right! It's not Michigan blue but it's definitely a very nice blue that works well with the rest of the design.

      Delete
  5. Excellent stuff! Chris is a good guy!

    ReplyDelete