Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Fun freebies featuring A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts

Who doesn't love free stuff? That's why my post is all about this evening.

The main star for tonight is Jon over at A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts. I was one of a pretty large group of folks who participated in his "Take my cards Tuesdays" and "Free Card Fridays" back in May, and I know I saw quite a few familiar names in the comments so this won't come as news to many of you. I give Jon a ton of credit for his generosity as he was truly asking for nothing in return--not a follow, not cards, not a damn thing. And some of the stuff up for grabs was very high quality considering the price, or total lack thereof. Stars? Check. Serial numbered inserts? You bet. Vintage, oddball, and non-sports? All there, friend.

All he asked was for folks to try to limit their initial requests so a reasonable number of people could get a chance to claim something. I had no problem with that and came away with eight cards I chose plus a bonus:

The baseball selection was pretty much Tigers baseball royalty. Cobb, Cochrane, and Manush are all HOFers, Miggy will join them in a few years, Evans and McLain came up big for title-winning teams, and Granderson is one of the best players the farm system has produced in the past 20 years. I think the Purple Refractor of Granderson was the one I wanted the most from this bunch so I made sure to get my comment in very quickly!


Before we get to the football pair, the Evans you see up there is the bonus Jon was nice enough to include (along with, remember, my free cards) and it was totally new to me. Normal '87 Topps? Nope, I already said it was new to me:

That's a blank-back version! What a fun throw-in.

As for the two Michigan football stars, Anthony Carter's is an SI For Kids issue from 1992, and HOF Rams LG Tom Mack's hails from 1976 Wonder Bread. I believe I can count my NFL food issue cards on one hand so that oddball-ness is extremely cool to me, in addition to it being a vintage piece of a former star.

Thanks again to Jon for treating so many of us to some quality free cards!

Next up is a freebie via Twitter thanks to a friend. Buddy of the blog John saw an account named C-Train GatorMayne offering up the following card gratis and asked him to send it my way, which he did:

Ex-UM WR Nico Collins is looking mighty fine on a 2022 Panini Obsidian parallel called Electric Etch Orange. It lives up to its name for sure and as always it looks better in person so just take my word for it when I say it looks nice.

Thanks again, John!

Last up tonight, I believe I've mentioned a number of times that my mom has always been very supportive of my interest in the hobby, one of the many reasons I appreciate her so much. She gets out to garage and estate sales once in a while and sometimes even grabs things she think I might like. At some point in the past year or two she found me a sealed 1991 Topps baseball factory set.

A few weeks ago she texted me asking if unopened 1990 Donruss packs were worth anything. Naturally I asked if she was thinking of starting a fire. Anyway, she specifically wondered if I thought she overpaid for 10-15 "packs" of them, and I thought, "probably, but it's the thought that counts, thank you!"

Well, it turned out to be a bit better than that:

Hmmm, opened but...
Ah, those are the "packs she's talking about. Let's take a look at a few of them:
Yep! It's an opened factory set and but with the base cards and Grand Slammers still sealed, meaning the only thing that appears to be missing is the Yaz puzzle, which I believe I already have anyway. Each sealed brick has 55 base cards plus one Grand Slammers insert except for the 13th brick which has the Bart Giamatti tribute base card in place of that insert.

While I already had a complete set put together by hand, it's fun knowing I for sure own a complete run of the cards with the factory set border, which is a bit different than the one on cards that were packed out. That and it's really nice having another set my mom specifically bought for me. Please believe I treated her well as always when Mother's Day came around in May!

So thank you to everyone involved who made my collection that much better with the free cards you saw this evening! Stay tuned for some more trades before I catch up on other stuff I'm excited to show off.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff from Jon! I was certainly confused as to the inclusion of the 1987 Evans. And mom thinking of you is all kinds of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was confused by the Evans at first as well until I flipped it over. Very cool of Jon. I love my mom for being supportive of my hobby, among a million other reasons :)

      Delete
  2. Very cool. I don't recall seeing that '90 Donruss factory box before. Gotta score myself one of those sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find a nice cheap set for yourself!

      Delete
  3. I opened some packs of 1990 Donruss back in the day and never pulled any of those Grand Slammers inserts. Now I know why. Great stuff from Jon... especially the blank backed bonus. And that's really cool that your mom grabs cards for you at estate and garage sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moms are the best! I think I was in the same boat not pulling the GS inserts, though I can't remember for sure, and it wouldn't have been the year the '90 Donruss set came out anyway.

      Delete
  4. I should've asked you about the Granderson before including it in one of the posts, but for whatever reason just blanked on doing so. I guess it worked out okay in the end, but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I wouldn't have been mad if someone else who wanted it claimed it, and I don't considered myself entitled to anything folks make available (well, maybe Rich Hill cards? Just kidding!). Thanks again for your trademark generosity, Jon!

      Delete