Wednesday, March 1, 2023

2023 trade package #5: My Sports Obsession


I went through another period of time where I didn't feel like posting so I didn't force it, but now I'm back this evening with another trade package! This is the last one I received in February that wasn't arranged via TCDb.

As a matter of fact, it was a very cool surprise from Jeff over at My Sports Obsession. My fellow Michigan-collecting buddy has access to some great stuff while working for his card-selling cousin, and I appreciate that Jeff is sharing the wealth! Here's all the cool stuff he sent me this time:
These first couple scans are all 2022 Topps Tigers, but instead of being base they're from the 582 Montgomery set. You have to be a member of Topps' Montgomery Club to get them (as well as to have the opportunity to buy some of their other exclusive products), so I'm not sure if Jeff's cousin got a set to break or if he nabbed a lot of these. Either way, I'm grateful to Jeff for sending them my way so I don't have to track them down!
Next, how about Too Many Verlanders? And some beauties at that! There's a lot of colors and parallels going on here. The Optic card is numbered /299, the GQ is /150, the Bunt is /75, and the Topps Gold is /2020. These will all look excellent alongside the rest of my collection of the brand new Mets SP.
JV got the bulk of the attention but there were plenty of other PCs and Tigers to enjoy. Sunset year Miggy is looking shiny on his UD/Panini trio. A&G pops up a few times in this scan and Cronenworth was one of them. Matthew Boyd may have returned to Detroit but Fulmer moved on from the Twins to the Cubs, staying in the midwest. Grandy's card is one of the best in the package even if it didn't scan well enough to make it clear that it's numbered 01/49 on the front because it's an Aqueous Test parallel. Hooray for card #1 in the run! And Mr. Padre's looking mighty fine on a trio of Topps throwback issues.
Gwynn makes a couple more appearances in this scan with 2019 Topps Gold issues (base and Class 2), and he's joined in that regard by fellow HOFer Barry Larkin. Jeff treated me to another sweet numbered card in the form of Maddux's 2008 Bowman Orange parallel, which is limited to 250 copies. It's still weird to me that Mad Dog suited up for San Diego in 2007 and 2008, going exactly 20-20.

This scan also includes three terrific HOF hits! I think I was the most excited about Sparky's 2005 Fleer Classic Clippings jersey because he doesn't get the volume of hits made that players do. I also love that he's shown with the Tigers since the Reds certainly have a legitimate claim to him. That's not to say that I consider Mr. Tiger's Sweet Spot Classic jersey card from 2007 chopped liver, though! It's a beautiful card of one of the greatest Tigers ever and I'm digging the photo of a young Kaline paired up with a solid swatch. Lastly, we go back to the Maddux well with a die-cut jersey from 2004 Fleer Authentix that looks like it could have just as easily come out of the 90s! (That's obviously a compliment when I describe it like that.) That great looking card appears to be my 16th relic of the HOF pitcher who could probably finish up a game in an hour and a half with the new timer rules.
Basketball and football were the main places the "fellow Michigan collector" part came into play. It's always nice when someone like Jeff sends me these since I obviously don't make much effort to pick them up myself. The first two are of Net-turned-Pacer-turned-Cav Caris LeVert, who was excellent during his career in Ann Arbor. Next is the younger of the two Wagner bros playing for Orlando, Franz, and naturally I like that it's a Michigan card. Finally, Jeff included another surprise hit, in this case a Refractor jersey of former big man Maurice Taylor. I love that it's a Refractor plus it's numbered to 250, and somehow it's just my second hit (also a relic) of the former first-rounder.
We'll end this evening with a cool assortment of football. NCAA champ Griese's UD Graded card is numbered /50 on the front as it's a Gold parallel. It took me quite a while to ID both Prizm parallels of lockdown DB Ty Law but they certainly look great (and would be appropriate to put out around Christmas!). Toomer's card says "Rookie" in big letters up front but this Zenith card is from 1997 so it's a year too late to count as a first-year, which is fine since it's still a need. GOAT DB Charles Woodson looks great on a Blue base from Select Draft Picks since he's pictured during his days of wearing that color plus maize. And lastly, Mike Hart is a PC guy for both Jeff and me, and I was thrilled to see a new one for my collection since I don't see stuff I don't already have come up very often. In this case it's a Stars of the Draft insert from 2008 Upper Deck Draft Edition. It includes a photo of a focused Hart probably rumbling for paydirt since he did that way more than coughing up the ball or losing yards during his amazing college career.

Jeff, thanks again for all of these goodies, I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to hitting you back with some interesting stuff soon, and until then I hope you and your cousin have some very productive shows, including this weekend in Shipshewana!

6 comments:

  1. It's the least I can do with all the great stuff you send me. The 582 Montgomery's were from my LCS. Someone sold him 8 or 9 sets minus the good rookies and great players. He let me grab what I wanted so pretty much all the Sox and Tigers. Thanks for the plug for the weekend and all the past retweets. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks again for grabbing those for me, then, and everything else you sent! And I hope tonight's trade night and tomorrow's show treat you guys well!

      Delete
  2. Love the JV orange refractor and the Ty Law Red Ice Prizm(I think it's Red Ice?) but the Kaline relic grabbed my attention immediately. 2007 Sweet Spot Classic was one of my favorite relic sets ever. I get why the Sparky would be more interesting to you though, I'm sure there are 20x more Kaline relics out there. Can't recall ever seeing a Sparky swatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a bit of color! The Kaline does indeed look beautiful with a typically nice UD design. I didn't mention it in the post but that was my first hit of any kind of Sparky so that would explain why I was more excited for it than the Kaline (but I'm even happier to have both!).

      Delete
  3. I guess it pays to have friends who have access to LOTS of cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Then again, I was friends with Jeff before it was cool ;)

      Delete