Tuesday, November 1, 2022

TCDB trade: PIF from jasongerman9


I've mentioned a PIF (pay it forward) I received from a favorite TCDB member recently in my last few posts and tonight you're going to get a look at it.

Jason, a.k.a. jasongerman9, a guy who puts in an admirable amount of work on the site, is another fellow member who lives in Michigan, though in his case he's very near the southern- and western-most parts, close to Lake Michigan and the Indiana border. He's a collector of the Reds and I've been able to send him a decent amount of cards of his team, and in return he's sent me some fun stuff back a few times.

This time I was rewarded with an eight-card PWE with everything he sent coming off my wantlist, assuring that it was all new to me. Check it out:
Baseball leads things off on an evening when the World Series is due to resume with game 3. You know I was happy to see yet another new Cronenworth hit my collection thanks to the site, and in this case it's Jake's base from 2022 Gypsy Queen. That's #61 in his collection, good for #3 on the site. Joining him is 90s bat maestro Tony Gwynn from Upper Deck's 2000 Gold Reserve product. That was basically a "best-of" remix of the base product with an upgraded look (a gold theme, naturally), kind of like what Topps Chrome used to be (I think Chrome just does the whole base set now? Maybe not, I dunno). I need fewer than 10 cards of Mr. Padre to crack the 800 mark!

Heading over to football and my beloved Wolverines, a pair of college uni cards bookend the sextet that Jason gifted me while I'm still celebrating my team's win over an in-state rival with a massive culture problem. Former #1 WR Derrick Alexander suited up for Michigan from 1989-93 (but suffered a knee injury in the '91 opener and missed the rest of the season) and went 2-2 against the Spartans. Here you see him on a trio of 1995 issues--Classic Images Four Sport, Collector's Choice Player's Club parallel, and Ultra Gold Medallion--plus a '98 Pacific Paramount Red insert. I like the Ultra card as it brings to mind the '96 baseball version that also went 100% gold foil. These get me close to the 200-card mark for Alexander, who current stands at 195.

Next up is a Biakabutuka from 2000 Playoff Prestige, a set with a nice looking foil heavy design. The big back played three seasons in Ann Arbor from '93-'95 and only went 1-2 against MSU, though he did put up almost 200 rushing yards plus a score in his final season.

And last up is another thumping back from around the same time. Tyrone Wheatley is seen in the greatest helmet in the sport on a 1995 Superior Pix Promo, a card made during his rookie season in the NFL. From 1991-94 he put his name all over the record books with more than 4000 rushing yards and 53 TDs rushing/passing, and he did the best of this group against Michigan State, going 3-1 with the '93 game being his lone loss. He tallied a rushing score his freshman season, two more on the ground in 1992, and added a catching TD to a pair of rushing tallies to cap off a great career as part of the in-state rivalry.

Many thanks to Jason for this generous PIF of a PWE, and I'll be working on sending more stuff back to him when I can, likely after one or two shows this weekend. Until then, Go Blue, and if you're an MSU football player, go to jail!

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to know that Jason is still around somewhere. I don't think I've heard anyone mention him since he closed up his blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I know he gets very busy with his own baseball stuff and other life things, but he's at least reasonably active on the site, and I'm glad that's the case.

      Delete