Sunday, July 17, 2022

2022 eBay purchase: I've got Wood

I'm back this evening with a lazy Sunday post as I enjoy the last day of my vacation before heading back to work tomorrow. As such I decided to make it a quick one, and my latest eBay pickup seemed like a reasonable choice to show off.

As is often the case when I buy something for myself on eBay, tonight's card was sold by my favorite member on the site at the moment, markaguirre22. Gary continues to list former Michigan athletes mixed in with newer stuff, and once in a while I see if I can snag anything I like at a reasonable price to go with his free shipping.

I was happy to win this one on the cheap about a week ago:

Former UM dual-sport athlete Clayton Richard, who switched to baseball after it was clear he wouldn't unseat Chad Henne as Michigan's QB, is pictured here on his 2013 GQ Wood Mini. In terms of that type of insert/parallel, the Wood cards are probably the most highly regarded after the 1/1 versions since they're also extremely rare, limited to just five copies. I'm fortunate to be the owner of #1/5 here, which is fun, though I'm generally not the type to put a lot into specific serial numbers.

Though I don't generally rate sets like GQs' designs highly, the Wood cards do have a pretty cool look to them. I think my scanner did a reasonable job of picking up the coloring used on the front, so you should have a good idea of what you're getting if you ever have interest in scoring one yourself.

Besides the low numbering the best part about this purchase for me was the price. Gary tends to start his auctions at around $1 (unless it's higher-end stuff) and while I wasn't the first to bid, my late maximum bid of something like $5 was more than enough--I paid just $1.55 plus a bit more for tax purposes. For a card #d /5? Yes, please!

TCDB tells me I now have 149 of his 436 listed cards, so I'm about to hit a fun little milestone with his collection the next time I add something.

After getting this great pickup filed away I'll be working on covering the next most recent trade envelope I received with a few more on the way via TCDB and other sources, so I still have plenty of incoming cards to show off soon!

Until then, have any of you scored any really great deals for your collections lately? Feel free to share in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Go Blue! (Or whatever color this parallel is)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Didn't score any great deals... but I did make two eBay purchases this month which is way more than normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're great at finding steals at your flea market stops, at least. I don't buy from eBay that often anymore myself, really.

      Delete
  3. I've seen the wood A&G's, but don't think that I've seen one of these before. Sounds like a great price for such a low numbered card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, thanks! Oddly enough I think I'm in the opposite boat as you as I have two of these Wood cards and none of the Ginters, and I'm not sure if I've seen one, at least not in quite a while.

      Delete