Saturday, June 11, 2022

TCDB trade roundup: nkandy11, NetScans, and TxRyan

I'd love to get some more cards put away so here's a recap of three more TCDB deals from earlier this year!

First up is Mariners collector nkandy11. Our first deal went well enough that I also have another one to show off when I get more caught up. I was able to send him a bunch of Seattle cards from my Facebook collection set-fillers/inserts plus a bunch of Edgar Martinez stuff I listed as I've been thinning out some of my non-PC cards. In return I got a nice stack of Tigers, baseball PC guys, and UM basketball and football items:
Great mix of brands and players here! TCDB has been a great source for boosting collections that I'm less interested in paying for (Fryman, Henneman, Parrish) and ones that can get expensive quickly (stars like Larkin, Maddux, and Griffey).
It's often worth the time to go through all of a member's trade bait cards, even if you're not a big collector of a sport. The two mini triples featuring Wolverine basketball trios are great, coach Howard's SPx card looks amazing, and the lenticular UD Vaught piece is a highlight.
Andy had lots of UM football for me to grab as well. Offensive stars Alexander, Biakabutuka, Calloway, Grbac, and Griese are just the tip of the iceberg!
Whether it's base, inserts, shiny cards, or college unis, there's something for pretty much everyone here. Once again, as usual, the offensive side of the ball gets all the love, with record book guys Harbaugh, Terrell, Toomer, and Wheatley well represented.
Star RB Rob Lytle's 1980 Topps base gets the first spot here as the last vertical card because those items didn't divide nicely by 9. Joining the previously seen Alexander, Biakabutuka, and Harbaugh, are fellow legends Anthony Carter, Todd Collins, Desmond Howard, and HOFer Ty Law. Hey, a defensive guy!

While some of the cards arrived in slightly worse shape than I had expected, I was fine with their condition, and everything else about the trade--communication, shipping, etc.--went great, which is why I had zero issues trading with Andy again. The fact that he's still 100% positive on feedback after 700+ transactions is also a good sign, so go check him out!

Next up is Kansas native NetScans, who was one of my earliest trade partners on the site a couple years ago. Moises is a Yankees collector who was interested in a bunch of the Bombers stuff I listed from the Facebook collection plus some other New York cards I listed to try to boost my trading (successfully, obviously!). This was an all baseball trade but I was quite happy with it and even ended up with more on my side than I'd sent out. That came in the form of Tigers and diamond PCs, namely these:
Some shiny and higher-end Tigers (Mickey on a technicality here!) feature first including pairs of 90s guys Clark and Fryman. I'm a fan of both Cobb cards, especially the shiny, fat Tribute card. And as you can see, I kept the Cronenworths coming in as much as possible in each trade.
Two of many Grandersons are a reasonable number in any deal, though I'm always happy to get more! Tork's been a disappointment so far this year but Greene still has time to restore some hope once he gets a chance after recovering from his injury. Gwynn's swing looks as sweet on the SP Authentic card as the '95 Fleer's design looks awful. Henneman makes an appearance in a good number of these trade packages, as does Inge, who you'll see in the next scan as well.
Larkin and Maddux both figured prominently in this deal, keeping their PC counts ticking up. Both are nearing milestones, with Barry threatening 900 and Mad Dog getting closer to 800.
Yep, still a few more Maddux cards to show off, and then there's his fellow HOFer, Morris, on a fun '94 Score Rookie/Traded Gold Rush parallel. I'm sure I have plenty more to get to as I scan in all of these trades but I'll just announce now that TCDB tells me I have exactly 200 cards of him, which is pretty cool! Speaking of similar milestones, the uber versatile Phillips needs just one more to hit 250, and that's out of 417 listed on the site (you bet I'm #1 by a mile). And then there's PC leader Cal (also by a mile) with the first three of eight I snagged this time. The '96 Fleer card looks a bit like the Tiffany parallel since it isn't matte but it's actually from a team set designed that way.
A few more Ripkens here include three from the 10-card 2015 Topps insert celebrating his 2,632 consecutive games played streak, giving me a total of 6. St. Peter is a new Michigan Baseball PC addition. He played with some of the good teams in the mid-80s, got drafted by the Cubs in '88, and was out of baseball just a few years later, but eventually became a pro fisher. Meanwhile, it feels like I never add new Whitaker cards but the 2B who'll have his number retired in under two months found his way into this deal with a '95 Collector's Choice Silver Signature. Oh, and two more Grandersons made the cut too!
A numbered Topps Gold of Maddux (with AJ-punching C Michael Barrett) and a recent-ish Topps Mini close out the PC stuff, leaving some set wants help. Between the Bonds and other cards I think I have in the piles yet to be seen, I'm down to just three missing cards from '95 Score. And the same year's Finest remains a work in progress despite the six above and a nice chunk more still to be seen, but I needed way, way more than that after picking these out of the Facebook collection boxes and now I'm down to "just" 48, which means I've made lots of progress.

My two deals thus far with Moises have proved to me that he's a great dude to deal with (500+ trades and still perfect feedback) and I'll surely be doing that more as circumstances allow.

Finally this evening I have a smaller deal with someone I hadn't dealt with before, TxRyan. The Twins fan wanted some cards of his favorite team and we put together an 11-for-11 deal fairly quickly. Here's what I ended up with:
There were a lot of players to tag today and I didn't get all of them but that's because I wanted to make sure to include "90s inserts rule" thanks to stuff like the '94 Pinnacle Museum Collection parallel that kicks off this scan (and plenty of others you've seen and will see!). I don't have nearly the volume of Curtis's cards from 2008 UD Heroes as I do Rich Hill's but two of the numbered parallels don't hurt. The Pinnacle Inside Stand-Up Guys insert you see above includes PC guys Griffey and Gwynn as well as...
...Ripken on the back! Not to mention HOF C Mike Piazza (though if Maddux had been the fourth I would have loved that). Speaking of Kenny Griff, does any player these days have a swing as sweet as his as seen on that 2000 UD Hitter's Club insert? BInge and Morris both hail from 2005 Diamond Kings' Framed Red parallel and they look great. Palmer's '97 Leaf Fractal Matrix card comes from a complicated but often cool product from the best era for cardboard innovation. And Sisler is a fun early Wolverine baseballer to collect no matter the era.
Inge may have moved on to a couple teams after his Tigers run ended but that hasn't stopped me from collecting them, like his 2013 Topps Gold parallel. And Barry Larkin is just as golden as in the Medallion parallel from 2005 Ultra, which happened to be die-cut that year, making the action photo-centered card even cooler!

The last three items you see here are '84 Fleer Star Stickers that I hadn't requested in the deal, but nevertheless they showed up in the envelope like this:
It was super nice of him to throw these in and I made sure to give him a shout-out in the site's Pay It Forward thread which is filled with similar stories of generosity. Parrish, Petry, and Hernandez (not sure why I left him out of order) were all key components for the '84 champs so I love that these were made the same year that team won it all.

Like I said, that was my first deal with him but I doubt it'll be the last thanks to how smoothly everything went, including the extras and even putting in the extra cost to ship BMWT (which I did as well since I almost always try to match shipment methods).

Happily I can now get all of these put away and get to work on scanning more so I can eventually clear off my desk, though that would require finishing these faster than they've been arriving and that's been a losing battle lately. Eventually!

4 comments:

  1. Way too much stuff to comment on. I'm just gonna focus on that Diamond Vision Signature parallel of Vaught. It's a great example of card companies looking for ways to outdo their competitors. The product itself kind of came up short, but whenever I stumble across one of them, I will always spend 10 to 20 seconds fiddling with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's a ton there which is why I'm trying to limit my comments so I don't get bogged down trying to get these posts done! I think cards like that Vaught are awesome too and I miss that kind of innovation whereas now the focus is on on-demand stuff and reprints, it seems.

      Delete
  2. Dufex, that is all I need to see.

    ReplyDelete