Wednesday, June 24, 2020

TCDB trade roundup: NetScans, mjprigge, and rustypetty

In the interest of keeping the posting momentum going at least a bit longer, tonight I'm covering three of my recent TCDB trades. These don't include the two larger ones that are making me figure out how I want to present them since those would hold things up a bit.

First up is NetScans, a.k.a. Moises, who hails from Kansas. He proposed a deal around just a few cards of mine and ended up flipping me a nice bunch in return:
Dean-o was a big part of this package representing 18/27 cards. This run represents 1992-95 so everything has him pictured with the team that drafted him, Texas. Ultra and Upper Deck each get a couple of appearances, and kudos to UD for the fun photo on the Fun Pack card!
A couple more Rangers cards bookend this scan that's otherwise 100% Detroit. There's quite a few designs I like, especially Sweet Spot, UD Authentics, Ultra, and UD Vintage. 1997 Pinnacle X-Press, which Colbey just did in a group break, was the lone horizontal card.
And the last group features three other guys whose collections I've been trying to build up recently. I got Tony Phillips in three different uniforms over his five cards, with a cool '93 SP debut photo that includes Tigers teammate Travis Fryman. And for a bit of nice synchronicity that Moises pointed out to me, guess who's on the back:
1993 Upper Deck SP - [Base] #239 - Tony Phillips - Courtesy of COMC.com

It's a Dean-o double up with Dean-o getting doubled up! Meanwhile, the Metal cards bring back fond memories of the 90s, and the Score card is a team set version.

Next is HOFer Ted Simmons on a pair of cards made late in his career:  1986 Fleer Update and '88 Score. I love how he's listed as a C/DH on the Fleer card since he's shown on an NL team, but to be fair he'd just come off five seasons in Milwaukee at a time where they were still in the AL! Fellow backstop Mickey Tettleton, repping Detroit on a '93 Select base, closes out the PC group. The final card wasn't a mistake as I needed the '93 Pinnacle base of Cal's less successful brother for my Series I set.

I was glad to work with Moises since this deal went so smoothly and would be happy to trade with him again.

My next deal was with Brewers fan mjprigge. Matt lives in Wisconsin--imagine that!--and I originally reached out to him on Twitter (@mjpmke) because he was selling/trading some dupe TTM/IP autos and I saw one that interested me. We had no problem working out a deal on TCDB where I got that plus a nice bunch of stuff of my choosing for some Brewers stuff and a '72 Topps McCovey for his set built. Here's what I grabbed:
Yep, this looks like a pretty typical group of stuff I'd choose. I'm not sure how I didn't have that '96 Flair base of Abbott, but now I do! Grandy's '09 Goudey card looks awesome, and I'm also a bit surprised I didn't have his 2012 Topps Update base either. I like how Misters Padre and Tiger landed next to each other in this bunch, with Gwynn a 2020 Topps insert and Kaline a '19 Archives issue. The scan finishes off with a Topps Traded trio: Maddux ('93) and Tigers catchers Nokes and Parrish ('87 Traded).
And the rest. The three-player '72 Topps card starring Tigers Lolich and Coleman was the result of Matt being unable to find a different card I picked out, which worked out nicely for me! Phillips makes another appearance courtesy of Pacific's '96 Crown Collection. And then we have the autograph I was interested in: former Wolverine (student but not athlete!) Tom Grieve on his '74 Topps base. Interestingly enough he's apparently another team's "Mister", specifically "Mr. Ranger" thanks to all the time he's spent with them. That factoid is thanks to Fuji's comment on this post where I showed off a couple Grieve signed photos generously sent to me by Tom (Angels, in Order). Anyway, this is a very cool piece to add, and trading with Matt was great, so reach out to him on Twitter and/or TCDB to make a deal.

Last up today is rustypetty. I reached out to Rusty, who's in nearby Illinois, because he had all eight cards needed to finish up Doug's 2019 Score football set. Lots of blog call-outs today! When I went searching for those I think he was one of about five members who had each card, and for whatever reason he was the first one I tried to make a deal with. I didn't have anything on his wantlist but we quickly made a deal where I got those plus the quartet you'll see below, and in return I flipped him all 34 2013 Prizm football base cards I had as he'd been out of the hobby for a while and was working on building some sets.
I wasn't actually asking for these in the original deal, but Rusty was nice enough to hit my wantlist and find that he had two new RCs each for ex-Wolverines Devin Bush and Rashan Gary. All are from their shared draft year of 2019, with both appearing on Panini's Absolute, Bush seen in Donruss (rated rookie!) and Rashan in Prestige. I now count four first-years of Bush and five of Gary, giving me about 20% of each of their runs.

I'll be back at some point to cover the aforementioned larger transactions but I'm glad to have gotten these posted so I can continue to show how I'm having a good time on the site. And also I love being able to put cards away! In the meantime, based on my experience, I'd gladly recommend all three of these guys if you're considering dealing on TCDB.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, dude! There's a lot of great people on the site, present company included!

      Delete
  2. I've got a Grieve autographed card for my Mister PC... and it's on a 74T card too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you have a Mr. PC. That's awesome!

      Delete