Tuesday, May 3, 2022

TCDB trade roundup: Tuesday tradin'

I'm back this evening with five, count 'em, five more TCDB deals! No sense in dawdling, let's get right down to it:

Trade #1 was kind of a RAK (random act of kindness) very similar to my deal with Brian (FiresNBeers) in that I got to pick some stuff I wanted after sending this member a bunch of surprise stuff I knew they'd want. This time it was Dan, a.k.a. vrooomed, doing the gifting. Like Brian, Dan is one of the hardest workers on the site, resolving inaccuracy reports left and right and making database edits as needed. He's a long tenured member with a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to the fastest ways to make fixes. All that and he's a good dude when it comes to trading as well!

Here's what he let me pick from his regular profile plus a second he runs for a separate collection, SwamiLee:
We'll start with a couple current Tigers in Miggy and Candy, with the former doing well to reach 3000 hits quicker than I expected and the latter struggling early. Big Daddy and food issues go together like PB&J. Two many Grandersons are always welcome here! I'll happily take any Lemon cards, especially vintage items, even pre-Detroit issues. And I continue to add to my collection of fun 2010s Tiger A-Jax, with my favorite a Chrome Refractor.
We already had a '77 Topps of '84 Tigers OF Herndon so why not Lemon too? Rogers starts on a cool Panini Chronicles card. "Whatever Works" is kind of my approach to collecting JV at this point. And Griffey, Larkin, and Pudge feature on recent-ish inserts, with Barry being a Berger's Best reprint (one of many, many reprints!).
Last up I have a couple basketball items to go with some football fare. Coach Juwan Howard and fellow Fab-Fiver Jalen Rose look great on flagship/Chrome cards. Crable is one of the "biggest" pickups here as he appears on a rookie year '08 Leaf Limited Gold Spotlight parallel /49. Funch looks cool on a rookie year Chrome insert. Graham and Lewan were stars in Ann Arbor around a decade ago and are still going strong in the NFL. And finally, I thought the pair of pennant inserts of Michigan-to-Stanford transfer FB Jon Ritchie would be fun additions.

A big thanks to Dan for being awesome in general and specifically for sending me these!

Next up is a trade courtesy of Alabama man BLWinborn40, another member that enabled me to use the riches from the collection I bought on Facebook to facilitate some swaps. He collects Braves team sets and I was able to flip a bunch of '96 Finest and Flair cards for this haul:
Scan #1: lots of current and former Tigers. I'm not much of a Ginter fan but the cards of three '84 champs on the corners were a welcome addition. I'm slowly building a small collection of Baddoo while rooting for him to repeat last year's success. Bunning and Cochrane are two of the team's all-time greats even if they're more known for playing on other teams. Miggy seems destined to enter Cooperstown wearing a Tigers hat, at least! And that trippy Chronicles card of Skubal is a nice breath of fresh air after seeing the usual same-old Topps stuff.
#2: sweet, a pair of Cronenworths! He's scuffled a bit to start the season but has shown signs of life as well. 2007 Hall of Fame buddies Gwynn and Ripken get in on the act with a few inserts and a sticker of the latter. And three many Verlanders sorta fit the name of the blog, right? That Prizm Red, White, and Blue parallel is a few weeks early for Memorial Day.
Last up is an eight-pack of the other Junior I collect, Griffey. This is generally a mix of Topps inserts and Donruss and adjacent base along with a trio of 2021 Panini Mosaic cards.

Everything about this deal went smoothly and I could see us trading again at some point if our wantlists and trade lists match up.

Mississippian SWATty67 is next with a pretty basic PWE deal. He collects a few players including Ozzie Smith, Robin Yount, and Mike Piazza, and I turned some of those into this group of 13:
Cronenworth again! Yes he is indeed an All-Star rookie which makes sense since he made the NL squad in his first full season. Another Granderson ups today's total to...uh...too many! They may be low end but I wasn't going to say no to a pair of Maddux base cards I was missing. And of course Junior Griffey's from 1995's superfluous UC3 product, which is definitely of its time!
On the football side I nabbed some more base stuff as well, mostly from the 2000 Topps Collection set. I did double up on TE Riemersma with a Season Opener card, and FB Jon Vaughn joined the trade via his '93 Pinnacle base. I've gained even more respect for Vaughn as he's continued to push against UM for its decades of ignoring systemic sexual abuse in the athletic department (and school as a whole).

Again, this member was easy to work with and everything went great.

Deal #4 was another small one (seeing the general theme for today?) that only cost me a Natrone Means jersey card I picked up at a show probably for a buck or two at the most. Oklahoman Chargers collector thesouthpaw sent me the following 10 items I was glad to get back in the swap:
The baseball side of things was all about 2021 A&G with base issues of young pitchers Mize and Skubal and Minis of Sparky (base seen earlier) and Mad Dog. The stars of the gridiron got even more facetime in this deal with six different players getting repped. What's funny is that I didn't even realize all six were defensive players, something you don't see happen too often. Paye is seen on his 2021 Donruss RC, one of three from that product, while the trio of 2021 Prestige players should all be on new teams this year (Bush's fifth-year option was declined, Peppers is with the Patriots, and Winovich was traded to Cleveland).

I don't make a habit of trading hits for low-end stuff but the Means jersey clearly belonged in this member's collection and I got some fun stuff out of yet another easy deal.

And last up tonight is my favorite deal of the bunch because, as we say around here, 90s inserts rule! Also, there's a bit of a funny story to it. Wisconsin native aselchert10 was very interested in a pair of my better inserts of Chipper Jones, and fortunately for me he's also a connoisseur of chase cards from that decade, meaning I had some excellent stuff to choose from. Lots of (productive) back-and-forth later, we had a deal. We PWEd the cards to each other and things seemed fine.

Then a couple hours later as I was getting ready for bed I had the realization that I'd forgotten to put stamps on the PWE I sent his way. Not a huge deal since I'd likely get the envelope back at some point and be able to re-send it, just annoying. So I was very surprised when he let me know that it made it to his mailbox five days later. Sweet! Weird, but sweet!

Anyway, in addition to a nice insert I scored for a future trade, here's what I picked out for myself:

90s me would definitely give today me a big thumbs up for this one, with my four big star PCs from that decade featuring on some sweet inserts. You see Griffey up there on 1998 Score's All-Score Team, '98 UD's All-Star Credentials, and '99 Topps Chrome's Lords of the Diamond. Ripken Jr. joins George Kenneth out of that All-Star Credentials set, a design I loved immediately upon pulling one from a box I busted way back then. At one point I considered chasing the set but they were just too expensive at the time, and now I'm pretty much just a player collector, so I'm just thrilled to have these. And the other two inserts are pretty spiffy as well.

When it came to my choices for Mr. Padre cards I decided on his 1998 Paramount Team Checklist. Paramount was a ton of fun back then with some great inserts and the die-cut Checklists are a good example of that. I mean who else from that decade do you associate more with a pair of crossed bats?

And finally, I combined two collecting favorites--Maddux cards and numbered inserts--in selecting Greg's 1998 Leaf State Representatives card, limited to "just" 5000 copies. It's everything I could want in a chase card of its time thanks to its foil, numbering, and fun design.

This trade was obviously a fun one for me and the exact kind of swap I'm glad to be able to make when putting up some of my better 90s stuff for trade. I appreciated this member's patience in working out a deal we were both comfortable with, and other than the mini heart attack I had after I realized I forgot the postage, everything went smoothly once more.

Well that's five more TCDB trades' worth of cards I get to put away, and I'll surely cover more of them soon, but first I'll probably take a detour to another high quality blogger deal I'll be glad to show off once I get everything scanned and logged. Until then, thanks once again to everyone who made these great swaps possible!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure that a lot of bloggers are gonna be jealous of that Junior Lords of the Diamond card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Dresibach had a pro card, gonna have to look for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I counted something like six different major brand (not including stuff like SAGE or TK Legacy) sets he appears in, including a RC or two!

      Delete