Monday, September 6, 2021

9/3/21 card show report: show 'nuff

This is going to be another quick show recap because once again I didn't bring home much, though this time it felt a bit more productive to me as I scored a few cards for upcoming trade packages.

After getting out of work early on Friday afternoon I headed east to Taylor, home of your 2021 Little League Baseball champions! My usual seller still didn't have any dime boxes out so I spent most of my time in the $1s and $2 looking for hits to trade.

My final breakdown was 20 $2s, eight $1s, and four $0.50s for a nice round $50 spent. Most of the cards will be getting dispersed around the country soon enough, but I did end up with eight trade bait items that I didn't immediately assign to any of my usual trade partners:
As you can see, my usual strategy is "get the best type of hit I can find for $1 or $2." In this case all were $2s, but I think they were worth it. Most are football because that's how things shook out--just about all the $2 baseball stuff featured scrubs--but I did end up with a Matt Holiday manupatch, so there's that. These are all up on TCDB but as always, send a comment/message/whatever my way if you'd like to make a deal for any of the above.

Other than that I scored one card for myself in the $0.50 boxes: this 2003 Flair RC of Huggy Bear's kid Justin Fargas, the former Michigan RB who transferred to USC after two seasons and a leg injury, and then appeared in 92 games over seven seasons with the Raiders.

Justin has 22 cards that meet my Michigan RC project requirements: nothing autographed or including relics, and no college photos where he appears with a team other than Michigan. This one is my 12th, so I'm making reasonable progress on his list.

Flair and its related brands had their ups and downs over the years, and in my opinion this design is decent but nothing too exciting. As with pretty much everything at the time the rookies are numbered, in this case to 500 on the back. Considering two of his first-years I have yet to track down are numbered /100 or lower, that's middle-of-the-road. And $0.50 isn't the worst asking price for it since I'd probably have to spend that much or more on, say, Sportlots. Hopefully I'll be able to find more stuff like this in that seller's quarter box in the future, though.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll be posting next but I may be getting close to finally recapping, likely over two or three posts, that huge Facebook haul. If I take a while longer to get to that, though, it's because I still have a bit of work to do there, mostly deciding what to keep and what to dump at this point. Rest assured you'll see lots of the great stuff I'm keeping and what's available, and then eventually some of it will be hitting mailboxes, maybe one near you!

6 comments:

  1. Cheap boxes at shows rule. Looking forward to the Facebook finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're so fun to flip through! That's where I spend about 99% of my time at those shows. Thanks for your interest in the Facebook stuff, I'll try to get to it soon.

      Delete
  2. Had no idea Fargas was a Wolverine. Can you use a rookie black refractor (#'d to 100) of him? If so... I have one I can send your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His biggest college season was as a senior at USC and then he stayed on the west coast with the NFL so I could understand that. I'm sure I don't have one of those Refractors so as long as he's not in a USC uni I could use it, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't complain! While I'd love to have another day where I come home with lots more, I'm happy to have some nice trade bait.

      Delete