Monday, December 21, 2020

2020 trade package #36: Topps Cards That Never Were

This evening I'm showing off the first of the Christmas cards I've received so far this month, with two others ready go to after this one. I'm not sure if I'll be expecting any others to get delivered before or after the holiday thanks to the great USPS slowdown of 2020, but all the same I'm happy to have been sent cards from three very cool people.

Envelope #1 is a PWE from Jeremy over at Topps Cards That Never Were. While I don't want to assume Jeremy's intentions, I'm considering what he sent a Christmas card because it's the season for giving, and I'd say he nailed that sentiment. A fellow Tigers fan and not-so-fellow custom card artist, here's a look at what I found in this PWE:
See what I mean? "Found this card at my LCS, and it screamed you." So he grabbed it for me and sent it up here. That's a Christmas present if I've ever seen one.
So what we've got here is Barry Larkin's entry in the Old School Colors insert out of the college-centric 2017 Panini Contenders Draft product. It's a cool insert of a player I collect wearing his college colors, and therefore I love it. I also think it's great that Panini did a little blurb about how he committed to playing football for Bo but went the baseball route instead. UM's had lots of stars go through the NFL but much fewer when it comes to the diamond, so I'm glad he made the choice he did. He was good enough in Ann Arbor to get taken fourth overall in that stacked 1985 first round and never looked back.

Jeremy, whether or not you sent this as a Christmas present, thanks for the early gift, not to mention thinking of me as soon as you saw a Michigan card! You're due to be one of the lucky recipients of Christmas cards from me once I have things in-hand, so I'll be happy to return the favor in the spirit of the season.

I'll be back soon for part 2!

12 comments:

  1. "the meeting I had with Bo to tell him I wasn't going to play wasn't very comfortable"

    That's hilarious and I bet it was uncomfortable. I guessed Larkin when I saw the photo with the note but not that card. I don't think I've seen it before. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that makes me laugh every time. Don't think I knew about that story until I read one of Bo's books.

      Glad you like the card because I already have it so it'll be heading your way once everything for my Christmas cards arrives!

      Delete
  2. Don't think I knew that Larkin was planning to play football at Michigan. Gotta wonder how things would have played out if Bo told him he couldn't play baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine it's not that common of a story. That would have been interesting indeed!

      Delete
  3. Nice addition to your Michigan PC, and a nice gesture from Jeremy. That anecdote on the back is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Glad to be trading with Jeremy again as this is #2, and I'll happily be sending some stuff back his way soon.

      Delete
  4. I didn’t even think of Christmas when I sent it, lol. Just knew you collected UM guys and thoug hit you would like it. Thanks for considering me and sending me a Christmas card. I actually found 2 more cards that I think will fit your collection, so expect a pwe soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I kind of thought so, but decided I'd at least lump it in with the Christmas stuff because of the timing (and then mention I wasn't gonna assume you'd sent it for Christmas). Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your stuff whenever I can actually send it.

      Delete