Saturday, August 15, 2020

2020 trade package #25: Wes Moore, the Pancake King

I haven't seen this many pancakes since the last time the Lions OL played! Bad football jokes aside, I wanted to make sure to get up a quick post today thanking Pancake King Wes for what's already the second PWE he sent my way after the one I showed off a week ago.

Today we have Justin Verlander's 2006 Topps (RC), which is different from a RC. The latter would apply to JV's card from the previous year's Topps flagship set, among almost 50 other cards, and I'm thinking the new rules for rookie cards went into effect around '06.

This Series 2 card depicts a very young Verlander and the stats on the back cover only his Minor League numbers from his 2005 pro debut, where he went 11-2 with 136 strikeouts over 20 starts with high-A Lakeland and AA Erie. However, he did make his Major League debut on Independence Day that year (for Alan Trammell's last team as Tigers manager), allowing four earned runs in a 6-0 loss at Cleveland. He'd get one more chance later that month against the Twins but give up all the runs in a 5-2 loss. Obviously things went a bit better the following year.

Wes, thanks again for treating me to an unexpected PWE, and even more for bringing the variety with a Tigers PC card after hitting my Michigan collection last time! I don't know exactly what I'll be able to send back (not waffles) but I'm hoping to return the favor soon.

8 comments:

  1. Ah- a rookie but wait not a rookie card. One of the most annoying things about card collecting. Good pitcher though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those rules never made any sense, then or now! Sure is, though!

      Delete
  2. I've collected off and on for almost 40 years and still don't have the whole "rookie card" thing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything's a RC if it's on eBay! Yep, doesn't make any sense.

      Delete
  3. The 90's was so confusing with the rookie card logos on cards that are not considered rookies. I have a bunch of players like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made things even weirder. I remember when Topps would put a little "Rookie Card" note on the back of some cards, and then on fronts. Now tons of cards have the "RC" on the front, even inserts and hits that are definitely not rookie cards!

      Delete