Wednesday, August 12, 2020

2020 trade package #24: Sport Card Collectors

Sport Card Collectors

PWEs seem to be flying around the blogosphere this year, which makes lots of sense when you consider they're relatively cheap and effective ways of sending cards, for which lots of people have more time than usual these days. I always enjoy seeing them in my own mailbox and I've been fortunate to have received a good few over the past few months.

That includes today's from TMV trade buddy and PWE enthusiast Matt over at Sport Card Collectors. He sent me one that I showed off around the middle of last month, and then he let me know that another one had followed it not long after. He then became concerned the longer it took to reach me, but I've been dealing with the combination of COVID taking a toll on Detroit's USPS distribution center plus the Republicans blatantly trying to stamp out the service (pun not intended). This Blowout thread does a good job explaining some of the delays folks are seeing.

Anyway, fortunately for both of us it finally arrived a few days ago. Check out that postmark: July 7, or not quite a month to the day he sent it!

So what did Matt send this time? How about Too Many Verlanders!:

Too many shiny Verlanders, to be precise, and all of them new to me too! As I like to point out, that's not too easy to do these days, as I'm well on my way to 450 of them at this point. So let's take a good look at what these are.

First up is a 2007 Topps Chrome Refractor, a parallel of his All-Star Rookie base in the set. I'd say the 2006 AL Rookie of the Year was a good choice for that year's team! This was back when Chrome's design lent itself better to Refractors and you could really see them pop. The black border design certainly helps.

Sticking with the Topps Chrome Refractor theme, the next two are slightly more recent variations on that insert. Card #2 is a Pink from 2016, and that's followed by a Prizm from the following year. The Pink card lacks oomph thanks to that year's design but it still looks nice for what it is. And Prizm joins the XFractor type lower on my list of favorite versions, but they still have that trademark shine so they're still pleasing to the eye.

Then we have an interesting 2019 Donruss pairing. The fourth card you see above brings back the old Franchise Features name with JV up front and pitching prospect Forrest Whitley on the back. I believe the Astros have been loath to trade their 2016 first-rounder, which certainly makes sense. Does anyone remember the OG Franchise Features insert from '97 Donruss that looked like this? Now that was an insert!

Along for the ride is another parallel, one of a host found in last year's Donruss flagship product. The one you see above is the Independence Day version of one of Verlander's two variations in the set, and you can tell that easily based on the blue border with white stripes. The front is fairly glossy while the back has the old cardboard feel, but I can't remember if all of that year's cards are like that.

Finally today we end on a blue note--the best color--with a '19 Topps Silver Pack '84 Topps Blue Refractor. In addition to the usual Refractor look done up in blue, this one has what I guess I would describe as interlocking octagons. Plus the card's look is based on the '84 base set, with the back containing a blurb about that very release. If the excellent color choice wasn't enough, this one is also numbered 065/150, a very nice bonus!

Here's a quick look at the backs for those of you that enjoy those:
Matt, thanks again for another great PWE, and I hope you didn't lose too much sleep (or hair) over its plodding journey west to my mailbox. When I get a few things shipped my way I'll have a pretty nice sized package to return the favor!

Those of you that enjoy the reliable plain white envelope will surely enjoy my next trade post, coming soonish!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed! Need to get your next one out soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rush, but I'm always happy to get them, thanks! Don't get too worried if it takes another month.

      Delete
  2. Verlander refractors are always nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! You could remove the first word of that sentence and it would still be true too.

      Delete