Thursday, October 31, 2019

2019 Sportlots purchases: Happy Halloween from Prince Hal!

Happy Halloween, everybody!  In the spirit of the holiday--no tricks, just treats--I thought I'd show off some cards of a scary good former Tigers pitcher:  Hal BOOhouser!  ::spooky Halloween laugh::

Newhouser spent 15 of his 17 MLB seasons with Detroit, winning exactly 200 games and the 1944 and '45 AL MVP awards on his way to the Hall.  From 1944-50 he averaged 22 wins, and in '45 he led the Tigers to a seven-game World Series victory over the Cubs, just the franchise's second, with a 2-1 record, including the pivotal game 7 decision.

Hal hasn't been a big part of my Tigers collection to this point but I'd be happy to change that with purchases like this one, which added a season-appropriate 13 new cards to his PC!  Check 'em out here:

Well hey there, bunch of brands that I like!  80s Sportflics is a great place to start, in this case 1986 Sportflics Decade Greats, the card you see in its full animated glory up top.  I already mentioned some of Hal's best stats above so by now you should understand why he's part of the group "Best of the 40s."  Don't be surprised to be seeing a bunch of old friends throughout this series like the rest of the sets represented here.  From 2003 we have Flair Greats, Fleer Fall Classics, SP Legendary Cuts, and Sweet Spot Classics, while SPLC comes back for '04.  Everything looks great and I'm happy to have Newhouser as one of the Tigers I can collect among these great designs.

Some backs, because why not scan them when there's only 13 cards to show off today.  Wait, I did some extra work?  Spooky!

Moving on to somewhat more recent sets, but keeping things classy and vintage, we get one more SP Legendary Cuts appearance, this one from 2007, and then there's a fun 2012 Panini pair:  Golden Age and the horizontal Cooperstown.  The latter is a great use of the X-axis design!  The middle row takes us into 2013 with Panini Cooperstown once again, then an SP from A&G.  The Topps card stars a cool look at an old Detroit uni, and I don't think I even paid a premium for the short-printed issue.  Lastly, I came up with a pair of Topps Archives base offerings from 2016 and '18, each on a classic Topps design.

More backs, for those of you that care about that kind of thing.

The lucky 13 cards above give me a new total of 25 Newhousers, a pretty solid number.  You won't see me booing the chance for adding more as soon as I can, either.

I hope everyone has a great Halloween!  Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with something extra special that I've been keeping under wraps for a while.

4 comments:

  1. The 1986 Sportflics Decade Greats is an awesome boxed set. I feel like it's truly underrated. I've seen singles here and there at shows, but I hope to one day add the entire set to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be fun. The only complete Sportflics/Sportflix set I own is from '96. The ones from the 80s are cool, and I at least have a lot of singles from them myself.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm glad at least one person didn't mind excessive Halloween puns!

      Delete