Wednesday, May 29, 2019

2019 trade package #10: Base Card Hero

I'm happy to announce that my recent return to picking up cheap but interesting hits at my monthly show resulted in a deal with a new trade partner:  Ryan of Base Card Hero.  The fan of Minnesota teams expressed interest in a Glen Perkins manuletter auto I nabbed back in February, and eventually we swapped addresses and some cards.  I hadn't had anybody busting down my door for Twins so the deal was more than welcome, plus I love trading with new folks, and I found Ryan easy to work with.

And I should probably also describe him as generous.  Witness the plethora of Tigers that arrived in my mailbox in late April:
Here's some Tigers A-G, all of which I like to collect.  Of this group, Cobb is the only one I've cataloged on TCDB but I hope to get the others added soon.  The Diamond Kings cards are the easy highlights for me here, especially given the players (plus that framed Hank is sweet!) but I was happy to see a couple more Fulmers as I wish him a speedy return to health.
I'd be happy enough with base Kinslers, but shiny Kinslers are even better!  Traders like Ryan have sent me some very nice stuff of his over the years and he's another guy whose collection will likely look quite nice for me on TCDB.  McCann is a guy Detroit is clearly missing behind and at the plate now that he's away from Lloyd McClendon's nefarious influence.  Seriously--send Lloyd west to the Angels and see if Mike Trout turns into Steve Trout at the dish.  I might have more cards of Magglio than any other non-player collection Tiger.  And it's still nice to think about the days when Scherzer turn his turns in Detroit's rotation.
Here's some interesting stuff of guys who aren't currently sorted by name in my Detroit box.  Ordinarily lackluster RP Joba is notable here as an SP from 2014 Topps update.  Maybe I'll eventually have enough cards of Sam "Wahoo" Crawford to give him his own spot in the box!  Stewart brings back the Diamond Kings love and a reminder of a couple big games he had earlier this season.  The two Bowman guys don't rank highly in the system, but you never know.
And to those I can add some inserts, mostly of the parallel variety.  Niko's a current Tiger while Smyly and Price are both long gone.  The back of the Wal-Mart Blue team parallel notes that in 2012 the Tigers swept the Yankees in the ALCS with OF Delmon Young picking up the game-winning RBI in each contest, an MLB first (which I hadn't remembered!).
There were three players in this envelope with enough cards to split them into separate scans, and first up is Miggy.  The 1B/DH is in the midst of a power outage and his best days are likely behind him, but there's lots of cardboard to like here, especially if you enjoy parallels.  Also:  Diamond Kings once again!  TCDB tells me I have 288 Cabrera cards, so we'll eventually see how Magglio stacks up to that number.
Mr. Tiger is next up, and again I'm thrilled with the DK base card, though another reprint of his Topps RC, which is as close to the real thing as I'll get for a while, is a nice touch too.  And I'm always glad seeing vintage photos of guys like Kaline such as the Topps 150 insert.  Looks like I have 88 cards of the HOFer, and I'm hoping to add more vintage to that count this year.
Ryan may be new to trading with me but he already was well aware of how to get on my good side:  send Verlanders.  Many, many Verlanders.  He sent me nine, or exactly one page worth, and I needed seven of them, which is a great ratio for me considering I have over 350 cards of my favorite Tigers pitcher.  Everything but the first two cards you see in the image is brand new, and I continue having no problem accumulating cards of JV as an Astro.  Topps made the easy decision to pair him with Nolan Ryan in this year's Greatness Returns insert, and the Heritage New Age Players looks pretty nice as well.

Ryan, once again I'll say thanks for a fantastic first trade!  I'll be following your blog as I work on picking up more Minnesota trade bait to send your way.

Everyone else can look forward to more trade package goodness soon.

6 comments:

  1. I'm starting to really fall in love with 2019 DK. The other card that stood out to me in this post was the 2013 Topps Blue Justin Verlander. Fantastic photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this year's DKs are pretty cool, eh? I'll agree with you on that JV photo--great use of a horizontal shot.

      Delete
  2. Sweet cards! Love that Joba Chamberlain, never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flip some Twins Ryan's way and you may get this kind of great stuff too. I also hadn't seen that Joba SP.

      Delete
  3. Love those Greenberg cards...and that Drew Smyly card...oh, what should've been.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, wish Smyly could stay healthy. At least David Price did pretty well for Detroit before heading to Toronto for some bum named BOYD!

      Delete