Thursday, January 17, 2019

2018 Sportlots purchases: PC predators

I just received my first trade package of the year but that'll wait for another day as I already had a draft of today's post ready to go.  This evening we'll be ditching the vintage stuff (mostly) and perusing some cards from my Tigers and Michigan Baseball player collections that didn't warrant individual posts because I just found a few of each.  New cardboard:  GO!
One scan, three former Tigers greats.  Gibby gets three new additions thanks to '95 SP's Silver parallel (which is listed on TCDB as "Superbafoil" for some reason) and a couple 2001 Topps versions:  Chrome and Home Team Advantage.  A high-flyin' Tram doubles up Mark McGwire on '92 Leaf's Black Gold parallel, a.k.a. "What '92 Leaf's Base Set Design Should Have Been" (sorry if I say that every time) and he joins Gibson in the '95 SP parallel set.  Last up is a great 2017 Verlander pair:  Diamond Kings and Stadium Club.
And on to the Wolverines.  Jim Abbott is one of two players that hit the four-card mark today.  A '92 Seven-Eleven hologram coin is the most unique item I added of him this time, his '95 Finest base (White Sox version, #233) is the highest end, the Pinnacle Museum Collection from the same year is my favorite, and the Circa card from '96 wasn't a bad throw-in.

As for the single-card guys, we'll begin with Astros pitching prospect Brett Adcock, whose collection doubled thanks to that 2016 Bowman Chrome Draft base you see dead center.  My non-supercollection of superagent Casey Close (no Major League cards to chase) got a little boost to seven items thanks to a 1990 minor league issue.  It's been a long time since I rock & rolled and added a new Freehan item to one of my favorite Tigers/Wolverines PCs, but here you can peep the Tigers great on his '66 O-Pee-Chee card, one that's surely seen better days.  I still lack three checklist cards for pitcher Scott Kamieniecki but did track down another of his minors cards from '89.  And Elliot (not "Elliot") Maddox's completed PC grew by one with his appearance from 1990 Swell Baseball Greats.
Hal Morris is another PC guy who got a card knocked off of his checklist thanks to that '96 Collector's Choice Silver Signature you see leading off this scan.  But new Blue Jay Clayton Richard had the most productive day in terms of new adds with four Topps-branded cards from 2018:  Flagship, Big League and its Gold parallel, and Heritage.  I wonder if he'll get a card with Toronto this year or if Topps will ignore him in favor of a 13th Aaron Judge subset.  As for Leon Roberts, I completed his checklist a while ago but lately have had some luck finding Senior League cards of his, this one from Pacific.
And here's a nice bunch of players to close out the group today.  I still need plenty of help in terms of my Chris Sabo collection but this time I did score both a fun oddball, an '89 Fleer box panel card, plus a need, the Golden Rainbow parallel of his '94 Stadium Club card.  I also bumped up my George Sisler PC to 85 cards with a pair of decent Topps inserts from 2010-11.  100 cards here I come!

That leaves three more players.  I considered it too oddball to be part of his supercollection checklist but happily picked up pitcher Gary Wayne's 1993 Pacific Spanish issue, and now I'm showing it off about a week before his sorta namesake, the Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne, returns on Netflix's excellent Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for its final season.  I managed not to get shut out when it came to my favorite PC, Rich Hill, thanks to his nice horizontal appearance from last year's flagship Topps product.  And finally, we travel all the way back to 2006 and Topps Chrome for a base issue I somehow didn't have:  a Gold Glove subset card starring former catcher and manager Mike Matheny.

That wraps up the collection of smaller additions to my PCs so look forward to bigger bunches of cards featuring some of your (and my) favorite stars, not to mention a brand spanking new trade package!

9 comments:

  1. The 2018 Topps Rich Hill is beautiful horizontal baseball card. Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd take a more zoomed-out shot but as far as Topps goes it's not bad!

      Delete
  2. What '92 Leaf's Base Set Design Should Have Been

    Amen brother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GCA, I'm glad you agree! Also, I wasn't following you for some reason but now I am.

      Delete
  3. 7-11 produced Slurpee coins into the 90's? That's pretty cool. I remember collecting them in the mid 80's. I'm surprised that I didn't know about the 1992 set, because at the time I was in college and my buddies and I would hit 7-11 up for Slurpees and nachos on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall those myself at that point but then again I don't think I hit up 7-11 too often in my younger days. I just remember grabbing the 2000 ones when you could pop off the bottom of the cup and see which one was inside and whether or not you needed it. Also, 7-11 nachos? BARF!

      Delete
    2. My stomach couldn't handle them today. But back in the day... with the chili and jalapenos... it was amazing!

      Delete
  4. Someone beat me to the first trade package? How dare they!

    ReplyDelete