Tuesday, March 11, 2014

2014 trade package #7: dej-ARRRR vu with Bob Walk the Plank

I hope y'all like trade posts because I've got another one lined up after this one, making it three in a row!  I know I enjoy them, so I'm happy to have that honor.

Today's haul arrives from Pirates/WVU fan Matt of Bob Walk the Plank.  If that name sounds familiar, it's either because he's been sending out trade packages like a mofo lately, or because you recall our first deal from just a few short weeks ago.  I'll gladly play spoiler and say now that Matt provided a very nice follow-up to that first package:
First up are some Archives and Update Tigers from 2013.  Personally, I'd rather see Topps run the gamut of their design history instead of limiting it to a few, but those cards do look nice.  Also, the horizontal Scherzer looks fantastic despite suffering from Topps zoomaphilia.  It's kind of funny that half of these cards represent players no longer with the team!
Now how 'bout some inserts!  The Kelly is a beautiful LCM parallel from 2004 and is numbered 22/25; I wonder if he'll make the team this year, although with Andy Dirks' injury my guess is yes.  The Pudge is a quality Gold insert (#1403/2005) highlighting his participation in the 2005 Home Run Derby, which was at his home park in Detroit that year; he finished a distant second to an unconscious Bobby Abreu.  Next up is a pair of Tigers greats on a 2011 Limited insert as Kaline and McLain are honored as part of that legendary '68 team.  That one's #d 143/199.  A 2013 Archives insert featuring three of the game's greats and one with similar potential follows--and what a group of four that is!  Finally, a Mini Miggy rounds out a fantastic group of insert additions.

Denny McLain 2011 Limited Greats Signatures auto (#408/499)
As you can clearly see from this card plus the other package, Matt doesn't want to hear any of this crazy talk about not buying unlicensed Panini stuff, and my collection appreciates it!  This is my first autograph of Denny McLain, and while he went on to become a slimy jackass after retiring, his place in Detroit lore is secure because of his amazing 1968 season, which culminated in a crucial World Series championship for the city.  By the way, I also have the Alan Trammell from this set, so I'm obviously not averse to collecting it either!  This is a fine addition to my Tigers PC, especially after Matt's generosity in the first package, and I promise to pay him back in kind.

Tom Brady 2004 Donruss Classics Timeless Tributes Red (#002/100)
One last thing--Matt thought to include a nice shiny insert of a Michigan Wolverine as well, and I don't think he could've picked a better player than Tom Terrific!  Shiny+low-numbered+HOFer=awesome.

Thanks again, Matt, for an excellent trade.  I've actually picked up some stuff in return for you on COMC and will try to get everything shipped soon so I can have it sent your way.  Readers, if you're not following his blog, head on over to Bob Walk the Plank tonight, and get trading with the guy as well!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the cards! I'm always setting aside my Tiger stuff for you. I'm sure there will be plenty more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I picked up some fun Pirates/WVU cards for you on COMC and just hit "ship" on those today so hopefully I'll have them out to you by next week.

      Delete