Thursday, September 6, 2012

Iron Man went streaking 17 years ago today

On this date 17 years ago, this happened:
I bet many of you remember it well because it was such a histor--
--wait, WHAT?!  THAT WAS 17 YEARS AGO?  I'm way too young to be saying that makes me feel old!

Anyway, it was a huge, HUGE day for the game, coming off a ridiculous strike that turned many fans away from what had been America's National Pastime.  I'm not really in the camp of people that buy into the school of thought that Cal's streak (and the McGwire/Sosa home run chase) "saved" the game, but I don't think it really matters.  It was one of those "Where were you when..." moments that baseball loves because no sport devotes more respect to its history and statistics than baseball.  And what could have been better than having a (seemingly unbreakable) record originally held by beloved lifetime Yankee Lou Gehrig surpassed by beloved lifetime hometown hero Cal Ripken Jr.?  It's worth noting, especially in light of the strike, that the spirit of this achievement was celebrating a man who went to work every day, no matter what, because he wanted to be there to do his job.

In commemoration of this historic evening, I decided to try to dig up as many relevant cards of the event as I could, which I now present (blown up for readability) without further comment:

The achievement and celebration:










2632--Cal takes a day off:



From Iron Horse to Iron Man:


No comments:

Post a Comment