Saturday, August 10, 2024

2024 trade package #10: Bob Walk the Plank


It's always a treat when I get cards from Matt of Bob Walk the Plank since we send stuff back and forth maybe once or twice a year, but there's always a higher-end aspect to it. Back in May he treated me to quite the birthday present with these:
Current/future star Riley Greene is a nice looking Museum Collection parallel numbered to just 50. Both Griffeys are from that decade or so in the late 90s/early 2000s when everything was numbered. His Topps Stars goes to 9799 while the gorgeous team color parallel from Leaf Certified Materials is much rarer, /200!

Hill ('23 Chrome Update Orange) is even more limited at just 25 copies, plus that color could be considered a team parallel too. I've mentioned that Miller was quite useful to the Tigers as trade bait, and his 2007 UD Masterpieces card is quite the looker. I have a crazy 83 cards of Casey Mize right now, and one of the rarest of those is the '22 Select Cracked Ice you see above, which is limited to 25 copies just like the Hill (don't worry, Gavin, neither is a 12/25!).

Neither of those is the rarest card of the bunch, though, thanks to a '22 Topps Mini Red of my favorite recent Tigers catcher, Jake Rogers, that's numbered 2/5. Wow! Speaking of "wow," how about another 2007 UD Masterpieces RC of a former Tigers pitcher, this time future HOFer Max Scherzer? That's a beautiful card of the three time Cy Young winner and owner of two World Series rings. Last up is another Red parallel that's not quite as rare as the others in this scan--299 copies--of former RP Joel Zumaya, whose legacy is looking iffy due to being connected to some very troubling allegations about former player and TV guy Craig Monroe.
And here you'll see the contents of the package I was the most excited about. First up is no big deal, just a Miguel Cabrera autograph from 2005 Upper Deck Pros & Prospects. I don't think I can emphasize just how generous Matt is--though I encourage you to look through all my trade packages from him here, containing flat-out amazing cards of current and future HOFers like Kaline, Verlander, Larkin, and others--but maybe this will help: this is my fourth signature of Miggy, and aside from the one I pulled from a pack myself, the other three have come from my collecting doppelgänger in West Virginia. Seriously, my hat's off to him.

Continuing the goodness, next up is a bat relic of a guy I just mentioned above: Barry Larkin. I'm as sick as everyone else of seeing the boring 80s designs beaten to death by Topps, but I'll always be happy about a new hit of a favorite player, such as #25 of the Wolverines SS that became a Reds star!

And for something even more timely, not only is it amazing that Tarik Skubal is the front-runner for the AL Cy Young on another tire fire of a "rebuilding" team, but Matt managed to score a '22 Chrome Refractor auto (numbered /499) of his on Twitter for under $20 and have it delivered to me. What a great card to have of a guy who'll presumably be around for a bit more after the team thankfully didn't give him up for another underwhelming prospect package (see: Flaherty, Jack) at the deadline.

On the football side of things, a pair of Tom Brady cards serves as an appetizer to the main course: a brand new Chad Henne autograph, which is something I haven't been able to add for quite a while. The 2009 Gridrion Kings card you see above (#d /50) is my 144th hit of one of my favorite UM QBs, putting him six behind collection leader Rich Hill. That number is bonkers and I'm grateful for folks like Matt who've helped build that collection.

And finally tonight, this surprise quintet is a fun way of wrapping things up. Representing the Pistons, Lions, Wolverines, and Red Wings are a great mix of Starting Lineup cards showing off several different designs. Hill and Osgood are examples of partnerships with Topps and Fleer, respectively, while Batch, Griese, and Woodson have designs I'm much more familiar with when it comes to those collectible figures and their cards. As for the title-winning Wolverines pair, Griese's from the 2000 product while Woodson's from the '98 Extended Series released during his rookie season.

That's another Bob Walk the Plank package in the books and man was it a great one! I'm fortunate to trade with some very generous folks and Matt is most definitely among the best when it comes to high-end dealing. I appreciate it as always and am working on a return worthy of this to send back to Morgantown as soon as I can. Thanks, Matt!

I believe I have two more May trade packages to get to followed by some show recaps and then it'll be on to June. Stay cool, enjoy the Olympics, and join me in looking forward to the college football season in just a few weeks!

14 comments:

  1. Cool stuff. I especially like the SLUs. And Bob Walk the Plank has always been my favorite blog title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That many SLU cards together was impressive. Matt's blog title is top notch, I agree!

      Delete
  2. A. Nice to see Bob Walk the Plank's name in blogs again.

    B. I'm tempted to look up the Zumaya story... but don't want to go to sleep on a bad note.

    C. Dude. That Woodson SLU card is awesome! If I had to pick my favorite UM athlete of all-time, it'd be him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also grateful that Matt's still around, even if not in blog form, because he's such a great trade partner. Nothing's necessarily been confirmed about Zumaya but the details aren't great. And Woodson's probably a top-3 Michigan guy for me as well!

      Delete
  3. Don't see many Miguel Cabrera autos! That's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, and very, very generous of Mr. Walk the Plank

      Delete
  4. The parallels and SLU singles are nice but yea, that Miggy auto is fantastic! I think that's the first time I've seen his signature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider me slightly desensitized to Miggy's signature if only because MATT KEEPS SENDING THEM TO ME

      Delete
  5. The Grant Hill SLU is tops for me. That'll be a card I get some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like how the two SLU/card maker collabs came out. Also, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to flipping the Hill your way if you'd really like it.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff from Matt! Miss him on the blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir! I also enjoyed his blog quite a bit but I'm grateful we can at least still trade even if he doesn't post aymore.

      Delete