Wednesday, December 27, 2023

2023 trade package #28: the Collector

Welcome back, everybody! I hope you all had an outstanding Christmas like I did. And now I'm back to show off more presents in the form of trade packages that I received in the last couple months of 2023.

We've at least made it into November now, though I'll still be covering 2023 pickups in January. Oh well!

Tonight's envelope was a PWE that came from Chris, the Collector. He and I have been sending cards back and forth for about seven years now and the fact that we're both on TCDb also makes things a bit easier since we can find more specific needs for each other. Here's what he sent this time:
Funny story about the '96 Finest Bonds and Clark: I sent Chris a big old package of stuff a few weeks ago including some complete sets, and one of those was one of my dupe Finest Series II bronze sets. I believe Chris kept the cards he wanted or needed and put the rest on his trade list. I noticed the two above, which are the last two I needed for one last extra S2 bronze set, and basically got them back from him. Nice!

Mike's son Daz didn't end up working out in Detroit after being acquired in the deal for Justin Verlander, but I can't blame the Tigers (or anyone else) for assuming he'd pay off his potential. His '22 Heritage High Number card is one of several Tigers I own from that set.

Meadows is another guy that came over in a lopsided trade and unfortunately his Tigers career was all too brief things to injuries and anxiety, but I continue to wish him well as he potentially works his way back to playing. His '22 Stadium Club Chrome card looks outstanding, as you'd expect from that brand.

Kudos to Chris for remembering that I collect cards of Dean Palmer, like the above '95 Pacific. I suppose, though, that he can just look at my TCDb ranking of members who collect Dean-o and see that I'm quickly approaching the top spot.

Finally, "hockeydude" lived up to his username by sending me a pair of ex-Wolverine icers from 1993-94 Donruss. That season was Jeff Norton's first with the recent expansion Sharks after six with the Isles, the team that drafted him. His career would span all the way through 2001-02, so, not bad! Meanwhile, Stewart, a native of someone I know's hometown of Kitchener, Ontario, would make his NHL debut after three college seasons in which he showed steady improvement. That makes the card you see above his Donruss RC, which I'm glad to own now.

Chris, thanks again for these cards, plus the couple shipments you sent this month that I'll cover at some point! I'm glad you had such a successful year of trading on the DB and that I could be part of that fun!

Back soon with another trade recap.

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy I could return those Finest cards to you (You sent me so many 94 Ultra and 96 Finest/Score, it was the least I could do) It's always fun finding cards for you. Working on the next PWE already ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, it was funny to me when I saw those two come up on our matches. I'm glad you enjoyed the new set projects you have to work on thanks to me! And thanks for everything else you sent too, I enjoyed it all!

      Delete
  2. Seems like every time I read a post on here, I learn about a new Michigan alumni. Had no idea that Jeff Norton was a Wolverine. Definitely remember him from his days with the Sharks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I still learn about new Michigan alumni all the time myself! I'm not surprised you would be familiar with Norton, UM alum or not, as a Sharks fan, though.

      Delete