Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Mike > Kosmo: Cramer's Choice

I've said it before: Pacific may be long gone, but it made a positive and lasting mark in the hobby, and we still see the effects of that today. Don't tell me you don't see some super shiny insert with a gaudy, eyeball-burning pattern without thinking, "Wow, this reminds me of Pacific!" Its designs were out there, its inserts were ahead of their time, and some of its brand names (like Crown Royale) live on in other manufacturers' products.

Since I became aware that its founder, hobby legend Mike Cramer, was writing a book about Pacific's story, I've been looking forward to reading it. I figured I'd eventually check it out for free on my Kindle app via my library (Libby rules!) or see about buying it at a lower price after it had been out for a bit. But then an even better opportunity came up.

Former Wax Heaven blogger Mario (@BeisbolCardBlog) procured a signed copy of the book directly from the man himself, Mr. Cramer, and then decided to give it away on Twitter. I was thrilled to be the lucky recipient, and I'm even happier to announce that it arrived today:

Well now that's just beautiful! I like the mix of cards up front, from the brand's earlier baseball products to offerings from basketball and football, especially a Michigan-helmeted Tom Brady.
And as previously stated, it's signed, making it an especially cool piece in my collection.
Here's a few quick looks inside the book. I like the shots of cards found throughout the chapters and can't wait to hear about how each was created, including the iconic Cramer's Choice Awards.

So in my excitement I decided to celebrate with some images of some of my favorite Pacific cards found throughout my collection. From Prisms to die-cut gloves to foul pole nets, numbered and relics, English and Spanish, 80s, 90s, and 2000s, there's a lot to enjoy from Pacific's brief but productive history:

For those who made it this far, are you excited to check out this book too? What are you hoping Cramer covers in his hobby story? Any favorite Pacific products and cards?

I may do a follow-up post reviewing the book, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is.

Many thanks to Mario for his generosity which is no way limited to just this giveaway. I highly recommend following him, which is saying a lot because I follow very few hobby Twitter accounts that don't belong to my blogging and collecting buddies. But I'm a big fan of his opinions--he's often justifiably critical of Topps and their shenanigans--and his celebration of the greatness of the 90s era. So go check him out and keep an eye out for more contests like this one and you might just be a winner too!

12 comments:

  1. That’s awesome that you won the book! I am going to ask for it for Christmas and cross my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I hope you get it! I've started it and enjoyed it so far.

      Delete
  2. I was/am a big fan of the Pacific brand, their inserts really were innovative and I still have a few complete pacific hockey sets. Really nice cards at an affordable price, with a decent chance to pull some cool hits like the ones you've shown off here. Atomic and Titanium were my faves, but I also like Crown Royale, Private Stock, and Prism.

    I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't show off a hockey card like the Glove Side or In The Cage die-cuts on the cover of that book. Obviously they went with the famous names like Babe, Kobe, and Willie - but those cards are so bland compared to some of their late '90s gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they could have put up a few more examples of cards on the cover and made them smaller. You're totally right about both of those inserts being amazing and I also enjoy the cool base products you listed too!

      Delete
  3. I’d love a review of the book. I was unaware he was doing a book. You have to give credit to Cramer and Pacific for some really innovative products in the ‘90’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've started it so maybe I'll give a review a go when I'm done. And you're 100% right about his innovation.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your big win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! I'm working on ways to pay it forward after Mario's generosity.

      Delete
  5. Don't think I ever saw new Pacific products at the time, but I went wild with 2002-03 hockey boxes several years ago. Their designs were different and still cool without being too over the top in most cases. I imagine the book is a good read. Interesting to see the hobby from an alternate perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like to joke about a few of their brands and some of the inserts, honestly most of Pacific's stuff really wasn't over the top. I really, really admire the high quality design of the flagship product from around 2000 and 2001, for example.

      Delete
  6. I'm a Pacific fanboy. So many great inserts, including many of the ones you pictured. NetFusions and In The Cage are a few favorites.

    I am sad to say I have not ordered the book yet, but I am going to fix that today and order it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All collectors win when you have an innovator challenging the old guard like Topps, so I was definitely disappointed when Pacific had to stop. I hope you enjoy the book as well!

      Delete