Wednesday, December 28, 2022

2022 eBay purchases: remembering the -embers

While I'm trying to keep up some relatively positive posting momentum, here's a look at my personal eBay wins from the months of November and December:

When talking about sets that are important in the hobby's history, 1996 Leaf Signature's one-auto-per-pack product ranks way up there. Thanks to eBay I scored my 10th from that iconic set, and second of PC guy Dean Palmer. In this case it's the Silver version (which you can kind of tell by the stamp), and those were generally limited to 1000 copies (Bronze were 3500, Golds were 500). I already own the Bronze and just need the Gold to round out Dean-o's run of mainstream certified autos. The clean look and relatively low print run meant I didn't think twice about paying not quite $3.25 for this.
Would it be an eBay roundup without something purchased from my favorite seller, markaguirre22? Back around Thanksgiving I won the pair of Zach Putnam Topps Mini parallels you see above. Again, I don't put much thought or money into the on-demand stuff, but the Blue /10 was just $2 and the Orange /25 half that, so I was cool plunking down $3 plus tax (and free shipping) to add those.

And once again he was super nice to throw in some extras of guys he knows I collect! The Hill minis are from 2008 Ginter and are the A&G Back and Black Border versions. Meanwhile, Larkin's cards hail from 2001 Pacific Private Stock and 2011 Topps mini inserts. I already owned all four but will be happy to use these as trade bait.
Switching over to football briefly, here's a not-quite-maize plate repping my team that will be continuing its playoff quest this Saturday. Standout CB Marlin Jackson appeared on a number of cards in Topps' 2005 Draft Picks & Prospects product back when Topps was able to produce those (and actually did a nice job!). What you see here isn't a base card plate, but one used for printing his Senior Standouts Relics jersey insert. A slight twist is that this is one of those products where you could find both the front and back plates, and in this case we have the latter. Here's the back of that jersey card (which I own) for comparison:
I believe this is just my second back printing plate card to go along with a Topps Mayo of Adrian Arrington. As you can see, the color yellow didn't factor much into the rear of this card, but it's a different story on the front with Jackson seen in Michigan's iconic uniform.

For under $8.50 delivered I scored my first Jackson 1/1 and his 23rd hit overall. The seller took a page out of markaguirre22's book and threw in some cool UM-specific extras:
That's three RCs of former TE/WR Devin Funchess plus a Topps Magic Mini of WR great Braylon Edwards. Once again I have all of these but the gesture was very nice, plus I happen to know someone who could use the Braylon!

Back to baseball. We're coming up on almost seven years since Doug sent me what was my first card of UM pitcher Karl Kauffmann, a player who wasn't even on my radar at the time. Kauffmann had only recently signed with the Wolverines, and even if he'd been with the team for a year or two, it was rare for players who hadn't been drafted yet to appear on cards. But thanks to Leaf's Perfect Game product, I had the start of my PC of the future Rockies prospect.

Flash forward to a couple weeks ago and I snagged my second plate from this same set on eBay. Like the one above, the one Doug sent me (a yellow version) isn't a 1/1, but one of two made instead. I'm not sure how that works with these All-American Classic plates--fronts and backs? Maybe something having to do with these saying "Base - Common"? Still, while not true 1/1s, they're fun cards to find and can still join my plate/1-1 collection. And would you believe that I paid just a bit over $2 to get this in my mailbox? Not bad, eh?

To close things out this evening I have a pair of Bowman Draft plates of pitcher Clayton Richard from two different years and separate auctions. Up top is the Magenta plate from the base 2005 product, which featured Richard's first MLB cards. He definitely looks extra creepy and possessed with his eyeballs looking like they're 100% white in the scan!

The other is from the 2009 product, though I'll mention that Clayton did appear in the 2008 version as well. The 2009 base card included stats from his 2008 MLB debut campaign with the White Sox, though he'd only be with them for part of the season when that card was produced, getting sent to San Diego in July of '09 in the deal that brought Jake Peavy to the South Side.

Thanks to these purchases--$6.64 for the '05 card and $7.63 for the other--I now count 12 different 1/1s in his PC, second only to Rich Hill's ~26 (still TBD) and one better than J.J. Putz's 11. Those are also my earliest plates of his as the oldest I previously owned were three of his four from 2011 Topps flagship.

So once again without spending a crazy amount I added some very nice stuff to a few of my PCs thanks to eBay. I look forward to showing off more additions in the form of the rest of my TCDB deals from this year before the end of the week!

8 comments:

  1. 1996 Leaf Signature is such a great product for autograph collectors... especially team collectors looking for certified autographs of role players. I really like the simple clean design and the fact that you can often find commons for a buck or two.

    P.S. Congratulations on adding all of those printing plates to your collection at such great prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fuji! I remember trying a pack of '96 Leaf Signature at a show not long after it came out, and it definitely wasn't worth the price for the scrub auto I pulled, but I love that 25 years later I can pick up signatures of some of my PC guys cheaply now. It really is a nice, clean design too, though I'd say I don't like the Extended version quite as much. But you're right that it's fantastic for team collectors and folks that collect obscure players.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've seen the colors on those Putnam cards before but you said they were On Demand and I don't do much of those either.

    I really should get back to buying on Ebay but they pissed me off so much last time I used them that I haven't used it since. Those are some great prices on those plates and might make me change my mind about getting on there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the on-demand stuff is too much of a PITA because then you've gotta deal with bots buying up all the supply, weird print runs, and more. That doesn't bother me with Topps Now and the like because I just ignore those but I wish the Minis and some others weren't on-demand now.

      And based on your experience I don't blame you for staying away from eBay. I still use it almost exclusively for super rare stuff at this point because otherwise the prices aren't worth it. Shipping costs keep rising--I guess some of them haven't figured out how to ship from home--and then you've gotta deal with some jackass sellers. So I only go there if I see something I really, really want that I can't find elsewhere.

      Delete
  3. I have two '96 Leaf Signature cards. Never knew about the colors. Looked at them and one of them is silver. George Williams, backup catcher for the A's, classic scrub card but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Now you know that one is a bit rarer than it could be! I'm not enough of a team collector to want most of the random scrubs you can find in that product but I'm glad others are. Looking over my collection I have one or more of those autos of Dean Palmer, Mike Henneman, Mike Matheny, Steve Howe, and Travis Fryman.

      Delete
  4. I keep looking at the Jamie Moyer Donruss Signatures on COMC, and thinking that I should really try to complete his "rainbow" one of these days, but never end up getting any of them. Oh well, maybe one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice with '96 LS since there were at most three of them whereas newer sets could include way more. Moyer would definitely be a good guy to get those cards of. In his case it looks like it would be a good idea to focus on his '96 cards instead of the huge number of versions from '04 and '05.

      Oddly enough his '96 LS Gold auto is the cheapest of the three on COMC!

      Delete