Tuesday, April 19, 2022

TCDB trade roundup: Hebron Reds Fan, LakeShow, Awesomo1389, and bravefan1

This evening I have the results of four smaller TCDB deals from earlier this year. There's lots of cards to look at so let's get right into it!

First up was a PWE deal with Hebron Reds Fan. No surprise here--he wanted a few of my Reds, mostly some dupes that came from the big collection I bought on Facebook. In return I got these:
As you can tell I took advantage of trading on the site to fill in some 1984 Tigers PCs, especially their earlier 80s issues, some of which show them as members of other teams. The two Sportflics cards in the first scan star Tony Gwynn (on a best NL RF trio card with Dave Parker and Kevin Bass) and Willie Hernandez. Morris and Lemon feature on items of vastly different sizes. The Reds at the bottom of the second scan weren't in the greatest shape but HRF made that clear in our communication and I didn't give up much anyway so I was pretty happy with this deal.

Next was another PWE deal, this time with member LakeShow. He requested just four of my cards, two of which were basketball and of zero interest to me. His offer of nine items was good enough that I didn't even need to send a counter:
Up top we have a pair of 1985 Topps Stickers including a foil of leading PC guy Cal Ripken Jr. plus an 80s Donruss offering and two 90s pieces of the Iron Man. If I don't have 'em I need 'em to bulk up his collection so I'll take whatever! I do like the National Packtime card from '95 quite a bit.

The other group helped me knock a couple '96 Ultra Gold Medallions (the only year they were all gold foil like that) off my wantlists for PC guys Hal Morris and Tony Phillips. The envelope also included the first of a good few #CroneZone cards you'll see this evening, this one from 2021 Topps Heritage, and the first of two UD Comic Ball cards, this one a new addition to my Jim Abbott PC.

Overall once again I was happy with the deal and everything involved when it came to this member, no surprise since he has almost 350 positive feedback comments to his name.

Awesomeo1389, a.k.a. Aaron from Grand Blanc, Michigan, is next. It turned out that I could help feed his Jim Abbott and John Smoltz PCs with a good number of dupes I had on hand, and it was nice being in a position to aid a fellow player collector like that. I sent him some 29 cards of the two star pitchers from the state we call home, and in return I got some baseball and hockey (plus one each of basketball and football):
When I said I loaded up on some '84 Tigers I wasn't lyin'! Bergman and Lemon appear on pre-Tigers cards while Parrish is seen with one of his post-Detroit teams, the Angels, but Brookens and Herndon rep the team that won it all in '84 on Fleer cards from the year before they went wire-to-wire.
Everson and Finken look somewhat out of place here on their 1991 Line Drive issues but they're actually new additions to my Michigan Baseball PCs. Everson was a pitcher from my hometown of Livonia and signed with the Tigers as a UDFA but never made it above AAA. Finken, an IF drafted by the Dodgers in '88, also never made the bigs after five seasons in the minors, but like Everson, was able to appear on a handful of minor league issues. It's great to welcome two new members to the collection!

There's not much comparing two Gwynn cards made literally 30 years apart! The "Printer Proof" stamp on Ripken's Topps Gallery insert still means something to a 90s kid like me. On a related note I thought the photo on Fryman's '94 UD subset card looked awesome. And Griffey the elder and younger share a goofy UD Comic Ball card with Yosemite Sam.
I tend to check for just about everything I collect when I'm trading with someone so I added these non-baseball items. Rose and Harbaugh represent Michigan from their sports while hockey saw me add four of legendary Wings D-man Nick Lidstrom to go with three former UM icers. The gold Tim Hortons card of Connor is particularly nice given the success he's had this year.

Given my positive experience here, Awesomo1389 is another trader I can recommend on the site!

Last up tonight is my first of two deals with Scott from Ohio who calls himself bravefan1 on the site. His feedback is over 1400 so he's both prolific and great to work with, plus you know exactly what you need to have on hand to make a deal with him. In return for some '96 Flair dupes and a few nice inserts from the decade I got the cards in the below scans, which offered a nice boost to two up and coming stars of the game:
My collection of rule 5 phenom Baddoo is paltry so I thought it would be fun to add him here. Chalk up two more Larkins to my collection of the Michigan/Reds SS thanks to this pair from 2021 Gallery. Tigers P Mize, who's temporarily on hiatus but likely not for too much longer, was one of the two big winners here, and I'm certainly glad to add cards of him cheaply via trade instead of overpaying for them. The Panini-branded cards were of special interest to me. Ripken's from the super ultra thick 2021 Chronicles base set and his card makes the stack look bigger than it is!
And here we go back to the #CronZone with an excellent seven new items! Honestly his checklist has gotten out of hand like any young star in the current era of collecting, but I can't complain too much when I can add this many cards in a trade without having to give up anything I'll miss. The Panini Black out of Chronicles that you see up top is very cool though I was especially pleased to land the 2021 Topps Gallery Blue parallel on the right as it's numbered to just 75. Hopefully I can keep building my collection of him through deals like this one!

I added fellow Michigan guys Tommy Henry and George Sisler to this scan because they worked well as a theme. Henry, the pride of Portage, Michigan, appears 2021 Bowman Platinum Ice Foil parallel, and Gorgeous George makes a cameo by way of 2021 Diamond Kings on a very classy base card.

Once again I can highly recommend trading with this member as a ton of other TCDB traders have done so to their satisfaction, and now I can add myself to that number.

I'll be back with more soon as I continue trying to clear my card desk of TCDB trades!

8 comments:

  1. Too Many Cronenworth 's!!!!

    Need to find those Pepsi card of the Reds.

    Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such thing as too many Cronenworths! I bet someone has the Pepsi cards for sale cheap/trade. GO BLUE!

      Delete
  2. Love all the Cronenworths! Hmmm... maybe I should start tracking down some rookie cards of his for my Padres PC right now... since he's been struggling to kick off the 2022 season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish JC's stuff was cheaper, always, but I hope you can add some of his RCs. Seems like he's been better lately. BUY BUY BUY!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR! Really a fun relic of their time.

      Delete
  4. I never knew about Pepsi cards. They're pretty neat looking, though seeing the old Diet Pepsi logo on there is probably the most appealing part for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much stuff on TCDB I've never seen which is crazy considering how long I've been collecting, and that makes it even more fun. I agree with you about those.

      Delete