Thursday, January 28, 2021

2021 eBay purchase: get Rich or die tryin'

I spent a good amount of my time today scanning, which is fun to do once in a while, and the majority of that was getting to my football COMC pickups from late last year. I got everything all cropped and ready to go for a post soon and added all the missing fronts/backs on TCDB. Once you get into doing that you tend to keep it up out of a sense of pride and competition!

Besides, those, though, I also scanned my first eBay purchase of 2021, which ended up costing me a bit more than fifty cents:

Naturally it's a much needed high-end Rich Hill card! The aging lefty appears in both the Winning Materials and Young Stars Signatures sets in Upper Deck's 2007 SPx product, and both of those have printing plate sets. In this case you're looking at the magenta plate from Young Star Signatures which, as you might guess, was an autographed insert:

See the resemblance? This is actually my second plate from the set as I'd previously tracked down the yellow version:
Not bad as it puts me halfway to another Hill plate set! As for the Winning Materials cards, I actually have one of those plates as well (Cyan), but have struck out on trying to find any of the actual cards thus far. No problem, maybe I'll get them eventually.

I now count more than 23 1/1s in my Hill PC, and I say "more than" because I still haven't definitively IDed six 2008 Triple Threads White Whales, which Topps couldn't be arsed to label. If anybody else thinks they have a better collection of Hill than I do (and want to argue about it for some reason), I'd love to see it! My 321 (plus!) cards dwarf all comers on TCDB with the second place member holding all of 55. The Rich get Richer, baby!

Not bad for $10 plus $1.50 shipping plus tax minus some eBay bucks, making this one $11.11.

Stay tuned for the COMC UM Football pickups I mentioned earlier, though with so many cards to talk about I'll probably drag my feet for a bit. And who knows if anything else will pop up in between!

10 comments:

  1. Affordable printing plates of guys we collect are always going to be nice pickups. Congratulations.

    By the way... thank you so much for completing my 1994 SP Holoview set. I'm gonna write up a thank you post this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir! I hope I don't eventually get priced out of them, but for now I'll grab what I can when prices are fair, and anyway I can always enjoy what I have.

      And I was excited to find something like that to give your envelope a little extra kick! Looking forward to your post, of course.

      Delete
  2. Nice pickup! I’d love to see your entire Hill collection in a post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At 300-plus cards that would be a huge post, but fortunately TCDB's there with a nice option: https://www.tcdb.com/CollectionGalleryPSheets.cfm/pid/2621/Rich-Hill?Member=FreehanSolo&CollectionID=1&Filter=G

      Delete
  3. I still think it's funny that he has Cardinals autos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As many times as Oscar has mentioned him, I was sort of under the impression that more people (especially Dodgers fans) had started collecting Rich Hill. I guess if they are, they're not on the TCDB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that's pretty likely. I've yet to see anyone bragging about a collection of Hill like mine even on Twitter, though, so I've got that going for me!

      Delete