Wednesday, November 11, 2020

2020 trade package #33: Sports Cards From the Dollar Store

Hey, we're a third of the way through November and I'm getting up my first post of the month!

Today I'm showing off another Canadian cornucopia from Doug of Sports Cards From the Dollar Store. If you've read a recap of any of the slew of envelopes he's sent my way then you know his generosity is the stuff of legend around here. So here's a look at the latest mailer from him:

"Small packet" my ass! This was one of the larger bubble mailers you can get and it was stuffed with cards in toploaders, because that's how he rolls. Also, please notice the ridiculously cheap shipping cost, a very patriotic (Canadian) price of $17.76, about $13.60 American. If I was to send this exact package the other direction I guarantee you I'd be paying two to three times that. Then again, Canada often seems to do things more intelligently than its neighbo(u)rs to the south.

Anyway, on with the cards!

The baseball portion was definitely strong for its size. Gerber's no longer in the system but he's seen here on a 2017 Bowman Holiday card, numbered /99, which is very cool. Guillen's one of many past Tigers I still enjoy collecting. Both of those Griffeys were new to me, including a die-cut Leather & Lumber card and a Classics base from 2020 that has a design more reminiscent of Donruss but looks pretty cool.

Finally, the two 2020 Topps Chrome rookie autos are quite nice! Alexander is a former second-rounder who looked decent this year and may well benefit from the Tigers finally going after a good pitching coach in UM's Chris Fetter. Castro also looked promising this past season after coming over from Cleveland in the deal that sent Leonys Martin to the Indians. Considering the increased potential for the team under new manager (*sigh*) A.J. Hinch, it's nice to have autos of these guys already, so I appreciate Doug including them this time.
Hockey part one stars another team also rebuilding, the Wings. I didn't want to scan everything but didn't want to leave anything out either, so here's a family photo. You'll notice the similar one you'll see later looks better because I arranged the cards vertically instead. Live and learn. Anyway, there's some very nice stuff in here, such as a Prizm base of Doug's guy Daniel Alfredsson, and lots of other recent dudes as well.
I thought it would be fun to pick a page full of favorites. The Donruss card (position #2) is former Russian Five-r Slava Kozlov, and he's part of a group of shiny fun and star power. UD's Ice is definitely a super cool brand, especially the acetate versions. The recently re-signed Mantha makes a couple appearances here, and even more in the photo above.
And we're still not done with the guys from Hockeytown thanks to these two stunners. The first is a beauty from UD's aptly-named Allure (2019-20), a Red Rainbow autograph numbered /349, and the subject is forward Taro Hirose, an undrafted Canadian NCAA alum who played his college hockey at...checks notes...

--record scratch--

MICHIGAN STATE? Welp. That's still a very nice card with a signature that includes his jersey number, so it may just remain in my collection, we'll see.

The other is a huge jersey swatch from 2017-18 SP Game Used, celebrating the 2017 NHL Centennial Classic. One of those fun outdoor games the NHL does sometimes, it was celebrating 100 years of the host Maple Leafs (who won 5-4 in OT), not to mention the league itself. The player here is Tomas Tatar, a talented forward who put up some good numbers with Detroit before being flipped to Vegas. He was later traded that same year (2018) for former Wolverine Max Pacioretty. I love the enormous swatch design here and this one should be a keeper for me!
I put the basketball and hockey stuff together this time because it was just easier to scan them like that. There's some nice players and designs here, with my favorite being the Fleer Retro of Rice, though the Taylor SP Authentic is a close second. Also, Rudy T.!
A couple C-Webbs finish up the hoopers, then it's on to the gridiron. Doug sent me a nice boost to my Brady collection that was mostly 2020 Panini Legacy inserts on a nice mix of designs. I was certainly happy to see sideline-to-sideline LB Devin Bush, too, on a 2019 Chronicles Classics card, even if it reminds me that he's unfortunately done for the year. I see him having lots of success over his NFL career with the kind of talent he has!

Football finishes up with this sextet. Griese and the A-Train represent one of the best Stadium Club designs (2002), and Peppers gets a cameo after starring in the Giants' win (wait, they won a game?!) this past weekend. It's always great to see one of my all-time favorite Michigan QBs, Denard, in a college shot. And there's even a new Woodson for me: a 2016 Score No Fly Zone insert. I think a dude that piled up 65 interceptions and around 200 passes defended earned his entry into that set.

Part two of the hockey bounty starred this bunch of Wolverines, headlined by some of my favorites like the various hockey Mikes, multiples of stars like Larkin, Pacioretty, Trouba, and Werenski, and other favorites like Morrison and Turco.

I'm not generally the type to focus on card backs, but the difference between Carl Hagelin's 2019-20 OPC and the subsequent's version is stark. The earlier one immediately made me say, "What is this, a card for ANTS?!" while this year's is so much easier to read with larger text and a white background.

As I did with the Wings I chose nine favorites here, largely opting for the same stars & shine duo. Goalie Al Montoya is the fourth card and #9 is Wolverwing Aaron Ward. UD Ice makes three more appearances, including one for Larkin, and I was thrilled to add five new items to his collection, but there's really a lot to enjoy here, like Hunwick's Rainbow parallel and a brand new insert of young D-man Hughes.

And in case you thought we were done for some reason, we still have the hits, and six big ones at that! Doug definitely knows what I like.

#1 is 2019-20 UD Artifacts dual jersey (/125) of recent favorite Wolverwing Dylan Larkin. Featuring two beautiful red swatches, it's just my sixth hit of him, a beauty that makes me laugh because the swatch placement makes it look like his knees are extremely swollen.

Second is a bold orange swatch of former Oilers C Cooper Marody, who I saw play a few times over his three-year career in Ann Arbor. Out of 2018-19 Ultimate collection (/399) it's my first card of Marody, who was drafted by the Flyers, got a cup of coffee in Edmonton, and seems to be playing in Austria now. Definitely a nice way to welcome him as the 58th member of the hockey collection.

Player #3 here is Jeff Tambellini, whose three seasons with Michigan's hockey team coincided with my sophomore through senior years at the school. He was one of those rare guys who could take over a game, and he probably should have won the Hobey Baker award in 2004-05. Doug sent me three great new hits for his collection (now up to seven cards). The first is a 2005-06 Fleer Hot Prospects patch auto RC (/349) that comes with a really nice tri-color patch. Next is a dual jersey from the same year's UD Rookie Update product (/999) which pairs him with former Tampa sniper Martin St. Louis. And finally, we have a nicely done jersey auto RC (/1999) out of SPx, featuring another of that product's designs that I really like. This is a really nice trio for his collection, and even if he didn't really have much success in the pros, these serve as great reminders of his fun career in Ann Arbor).

Last up today is one-year D star Jacob Trouba on an autographed rookie of his own out of 2013-14 Ultimate Collection (/299). I know enough to realize that this is a pretty high-end card of a guy who's still pretty well respected in the league, and maybe will be more recognizable to Americans since he came over to the Rangers a couple years ago. My third Trouba that includes an autograph (out of 12 hits overall), all of which I bet are thanks to Doug, this is a great way to end tonight's post with a bang.

Actually, before I finish up, I should mention one more celebratory item: these hockey additions push that collection over the 300 mark to 303, meaning it joins football and baseball as Michigan sports collections to have hit that milestone. One of these days I'll try to count up how many of those were sent to me by my favorite Canadian.

Mr. Corti, thanks once again for the surprise bonanza of toploadered goodness! I've recently landed something I'm looking forward to sending you for Christmas, especially when I can fill out an envelope with a bit more (hopefully from a show or COMC?) to make your holiday season even brighter.

6 comments:

  1. That Legacy Fan Favorite Brady stands out. Great photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Naturals insert is definitely one of the better non-licensed Juniors that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sure puts my little PWE to shame lol. It's always cool to see four sport trade/care packages, and there's so much variety in this one. The Denard Ultra, Peppers Score, Rice retro, Tigers autos, and all that shiny hockey are great. My favorite here is probably the Taro Hirose auto- a red rainbow Red Wing is tough to beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, Doug's pretty much the Canadian Wes and he puts everyone to shame, but I still appreciated your PWE! Red Wings autos should always be on red cards.

      Delete