Tuesday, October 20, 2020

2020 trade package #31: the Collector

The other day I received an unexpected envelope from Chris over at the Collector, happily tearing it open only to find more surprises in the surprise package: envelopes within an envelope! One PWE held an extra long toploadered card while the other contained a couple of pairs each in their own toploaders, taped together to make another long one. October is a good month for mysteries so let's dig in!
We'll start with the oversized card, which ended up being the '87 Donruss All-Stars Pop-Up of the Iron Man himself, Cal Ripken. These fun oddballs were inserted into packs of the even larger '87 Donruss All-Stars cards, and as the name suggests, you can pop them out and fold a couple tabs to make them stand up, showing them in action against the backdrop of the old Houston Astrodome, site of the '86 Midsummer Classic. I already had one of these (to go along with my lone other example, Lance Parrish, plus an '86 card of Lou Whitaker) so as I don't see it on his TCDB list, I'll likely be sending it over to Jeff, who I know will appreciate it.

Next is a pair of prolific Michigan WRs who enjoyed varying degrees of success in the NFL. Braylon appears on a base card from 2010 Topps Magic, one of the manufacturer's stronger brands in my opinion, (even if it isn't from the all-time great '09 college-themed version!) with a nice design. He's joined by college great, former blog namesaker, and bailer out of gumpy Giants QB Eli: Mario Manningham. This card was a bit of a mystery for me as it's clearly in the style of 2011 Panini Rookies & Stars, but didn't come up on TCDB until I found the checklist and added it myself. It's one of a six-card team set that was produced in conjunction with Pepsi and given away at a Monday Night Football game that year. Very cool!

Lastly, Chris treated me to a pair of cards from a sport we both collect a bit, though him decidedly more than me. Both star sniper Max Pacioretty, who was drafted by Montreal and enjoyed 10 pretty nice seasons with them until moving on to Vegas for the past two. He hit the 30-goal and 60-point marks for the sixth time this past campaign and put up a 5/3/8 line in the playoffs for the Golden Knights. Here you see the former Canadien on some slick Upper Deck cardboard (and more!) from 2015-16 Tim Horton's and 2016-17 Trilogy. Have I mentioned before how much I love it when card-makers print the name of the set on the back so their cards are easier to identify? See what I mean in the next scan.
Here's the backs for completeness. You can see the instructions for Cal's Pop-Up card and what I was just saying about UD's much-appreciated identification on the backs.

Chris, thanks a lot for the fun surprise! I hope you enjoyed the latest package I sent your way and keep piling up the nice pickups from baseballcardstore.ca, which I'm totally gonna try soon.

4 comments:

  1. I'd been holding onto that Manningham for a while, my father in law gave me two packs of those and I opened one. Perhaps I should add scans of the other 5 to TCDB.

    Bummer that you had the Cal but at least you know someone who can use it. I'm already working on the next pile for you - there will be more than five cards next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again! And don't feel bad about sending dupes, especially when you don't know if I already have something. Either I get a card I need or some trade bait, especially when it comes to a good number of my PCs and Michigan collections.

      Hopefully I'll have at least one more package to send to you by Christmas, depending on whether or not I can get anything done between COMC and shows.

      Delete
  2. Looks like just about everybody got something from Chris (myself included)! Topps Magic was a good looking set, which as a brand, was thankfully never run into the ground by Topps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! That sounds like Chris to me, sending out bunches of cool stuff. Yeah, they do tend to run things into the ground, don't they? At least I'll always have that beautiful '09 set!

      Delete