Tuesday, September 22, 2020

2019 COMC purchase: a 1/1 of #1 from before 1/1

For today's post we're going waaaaaay back to late last December. It was the 28th, smack dab between Christmas and New Year's Eve, days before the calendar would flip, and months before, well, :gestures vaguely to all of this bullshit:. It's been almost nine months so I don't remember exactly why I made this final COMC purchase for the year, a few weeks after having my most recent package shipped from the site. Maybe it was FOMO since this was a fairly nice deal.

Anyway, I'm only showing off that final pickup of 2019 now because I only recently had a few cards shipped from COMC: one for me, which you'll see shortly; one for Paul--the Dionne jersey seen here; and three more that'll probably get posted in the near future by my favorite Canadian trading partner.

Here's what all the fuss was about:

I love me some bunches of Funchess! This 2018 Score Black plate stars the erstwhile wearer of jersey #1 in Ann Arbor, a guy drafted by the Panthers who signed with the Colts, got hurt, signed with Green Bay, then opted out of this season. Before most of that stuff, though, he was enjoying a nice 2017 season, his third in the NFL, with career highs in pretty much every important stat, including targets, catches, yards, and TDs. He's pictured here looking well on his way to padding all of those numbers. The cost for all of this coolness? Less than $5. I'll take that over a questionably edible Subway sandwich any day!

I already had the base card this plate is 25% responsible for, from one of my perennial favorite products, and now count 61 cards of the star WR in my collection, including two plates (2017 Score Cyan) and 14 hits overall. This addition also puts me at an unofficial count of 147 plates & 1/1s, a number that'll change as soon as I can ID a few more and potentially excise one or more fakes/backdoored items.

Obviously COMC is in a state of flux right now as much as any similar seller, so I'm not sure when I'll next have cards from them to post. That makes it even nicer to be able to show one off from the before times!

Up next will be...I don't know. I think I may have one or two things heading my way soon, but in the meantime I may finally buckle down and find a way to show off the two huge TCDB deals I made earlier this year.

2 comments:

  1. The image seems crisper than a lot of the other black printing plates I've seen. Or maybe it's just because I haven't seen a lot of plates lately, I don't know, either way it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I know what you mean. I guess this photo just had a good amount of black in it or something. I agree on how nice it looks either way!

      Delete