Friday, July 3, 2020

2020 eBay purchase: Mike Hart's brownie points

Here's a quick Friday evening post for this balmy holiday weekend Friday. Not quite a week after I picked up the Hills you saw a couple posts ago I was back at it on eBay, searching for the type of stuff that's best found there. In my case that's rarer items like plates and other 1/1s. I was pretty excited to come up with this one:
 
For about $6.50 delivered--a good chunk of that being shipping--I scored my second plate of my favorite Michigan RB, Mike Hart. This one's out of Topps's 2008 Mayo product, one that has a similar vibe to the A&Gs and Gypsy Queens of the world. That means it included minis, and the printing plates of those that were inserted come framed. That's a really nice way to present them.

For reference, here's the regular mini card, one I actually don't own yet:
2008 Topps Mayo - [Base] - Mini #316 - Mike Hart - Courtesy of COMC.com
As you can see, the retro-ness of this set means the photos have kind of a sepia thing going on. That would explain the otherwise unorthodox color of this plate: brown. I checked on Beckett to see which colors were used, and in addition to this one, you could find "warm grey" and black for the fronts, plus a second black plate for the back, the only such version. Compared to the standard black/cyan/magenta/yellow I thought that was pretty interesting!

While adding this new 1/1 (my 144th) to Hart's column in my Michigan Football PC spreadsheet I realized that it's hit #70 for him, making him the fifth member of the club (Henne, Manningham, Braylon, and Jake Long). That's a pretty good number considering he doesn't have the volume of cards the other guys on that list do.

Hopefully this evening and weekend end with even more eBay scores thanks to a bunch of auctions I'm watching, and tonight I'll have plenty of entertainment while I wait as I participate in another affordable group break by Colbey over at Cardboard Collections. I hope everyone has a safe, enjoyable Independence Day weekend (suck it, King George III!) and keeps cool!

8 comments:

  1. I mean, how could he not be your favorite RB at Michigan? Very nice pick-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of good choices from my lifetime alone--Morris, Biakabutuka, A-Train, and Perry, to name a few, but man was Hart fun to watch! Thought you might like this one ;)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! 144 1/1's is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May have to search for my Harts so we can have a Hart to Hart ;)

    ReplyDelete