Sunday, June 21, 2020

2020 trade package #16: Bump and Run Football Card Blog

I have a quick post for you to enjoy on this Father's Day Sunday in late June. Trevor over at the Bump and Run Football Card Blog shot me a message recently asking me if I needed a few cards he listed, and it turned out one of those would be new to me. Then the other day a very well packaged PWE showed up in my mailbox: cards in a card saver, placed in the middle of a standard envelope, with the two sides folded in, and all taped over, which I thought was a clever way of adding protection for free! Here's what he sent:
#1 is an '88 Score base of PC guy Tony Phillips, whose cards I'm chasing with renewed interest. The late Phillips played five seasons in Detroit while doing some of his best work with Oakland. A member of two pennant-winning teams, including the '89 champ Athletics, Tony's 50.9 bWAR and versatility put him in the Hall of Very Good. I'm glad to have his base card from Score's colorful debut. Kudos to Trevor for remembering that I collect him.

Second is former Michigan WR David Terrell's second-year base from 2002 Upper Deck. Speaking of colorful, this photo definitely pops! UD had a knack for selecting some great images and letting them be the star of their cards, and I'd love to see them back on the football side of things.

Finally we have the card from Trevor's list that I needed: Mario Manningham's 2008 Upper Deck College to Pros insert. Super Mario was one of three Wolverines (Henne and Long with the others) in UD's second go round with this insert that's fairly self-explanatory. Of course I'm a fan of seeing my guys in their college unis on cards, whether or not they're my favorites from my #1 draft class. This is a cool reminder of the origins of one of New York's biggest Super Bowl heroes.

Many thanks to Trevor for thinking of me and sending these cards my way. I highly recommend adding him on TCDB (user ID tntcardsstg), trading with him, and following his blog. I'll be working on a return shot in the near future!

7 comments:

  1. Trevor hit me up recently too. I have a post coming up in a few weeks on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I hope you send him a bunch of Cubs/Packers/BYU guys.

      Delete
  2. I have a confession to make: I didn't remember you collected Tony Phillips. I matched our lists on TCDB and found that I had a card you needed. Glad to be able to add a bit to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I meant to make a comment in my post that you probably knew I at least needed that card because of TCDB.

      Delete
    2. Hey Trevor... can you email me your mailing address? I have some cards I'd like to send you.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like just about everybody got a package from Trevor last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do sometimes come in waves like that. I don't always do it but I tend to like to do mass mailings myself. It's kind of fun when a bunch of people are posting cards from you at once!

      Delete