Sunday, July 28, 2019

7/6/19 card show report: cardmas in July

We're just a few days away from August, which means we're just a few more days than that away from August's monthly card show, so why don't I just go ahead and show off July's show haul before I get behind again?

This month's show coincided with the Tigers game Paul invited me to where we did another fun in-person trade.  I managed to get a good almost two hours in before heading to Motown, and a good thing too since it started pouring on the way.

I dropped $45 this time, with about $37 going towards trade bait and PC pickups ranging from $0.10 to $2, and then my guy gave me a nice deal on a pair of nicer cards to put me right at that $45 number.

So here's your look at what came home with me this time:
The lone trade bait item I grabbed that wasn't intended for anyone in particular is this Tyler Ervin 2016 Panini Gala auto.  I don't remember if it was a buck or two but it looked cool enough that I figured someone reading this might claim it, and if not it'll eventually head to TCDB.  Ask and it could be yours!
I don't think any group of players has ever been nicknamed the "Killer 'G's" but these guys would be excellent candidates if that was a thing.  Gibby represents the first of two Panini Hometown Heroes appearances thanks to this Curtain Calls insert (guess what homer it celebrates).  Then there's a six-pack of today's big winner, Junior Griffey, with five of those going toward the Tribute to the Kid set I'm slowly building completely from this show.  TCDB says I have 11 of the 30, so I'm getting there!  A '97 Fleer Goudey Stars insert was a nice addition to that group.  Last up here is the first of three straight Topps (High) Tek cards, with this one starring Mr. Padre.
The other two star Greg Maddux, and they look nice enough, but as always they remind me of what a pain in the ass it is to look them up since nobody calls the different patterns the same thing.  Moving on, Cal had a pretty nice day with a '95 SP base, '96 Upper Deck insert I want to call "Game Face" instead of the apparent "Gameface" Beckett went with, and another fun Hometown Heroes insert called "Homegrown Heroes", which Ripken definitely qualifies for.  I was a bit surprised to turn up a new Sisler for myself, a 2019 Diamond Kings insert called 1919 Diamond Kings.  Again, a very apt choice here!  Last up for baseball today is a Holo parallel of one of JV's two cards in 2017 Donruss Optic (which I thought was a Prizm since that's what it says on the back, but whatever).
The basketball group today comprises this pair:  a RC of the recently traded Mo Wagner (whose little brother will be heading to Ann Arbor as well!) and a sweet die-cut insert of Chris Webber from Panini's 2012-13 Marquee.  I'm pretty sure the Wager was a dime and C-Webb at most set me back a quarter, so I had no qualms including them in my pile this time.
Baseball was the dominant sport but I did quite well with football, especially in the hits department. (More on that in a minute.)  The group you see here includes new base cards of Brady and Manningham (numbered, to boot!), an insert of Amara Darboh to pair with the autographed version, and a trio of Chris Wormley parallels.  I was also productive enough to knock another of first-round DE Taco Charlton's RCs off the list!
And now we get to the grand finale:  the football hits!  The jerseys of Shoelace and Rawls came up in the dollar box so the price was certainly right.  By the way, I now count 99 cards in Denard's PC, so it's almost milestone time again.  Also, my Rawls collection doubles with a relic to go with my other hit of him:  a plate.

Meanwhile, the Darboh and Funchess pieces above are the two that got me up to $45, and the $7-$8ish they set me back were well worth it as far as I'm concerned.  Amara's card is an autograph from the terrific Leaf Metal Draft set and is a blue parallel numbered 4/50.  That's already hit #20 of the wideout, so now it's actual milestone time!  Yes, the airbrushing is annoying but I still appreciate a nice collegiate auto.

Joining him is TE-turned-WR and Panther-turned-Colt Devin Funchess.  I'm pretty sure I would have picked up this jersey/auto from 2015 Panini Spectra anyway, but I thought it was extra cool that the signature's ink matched the card's Neon Blue color scheme.  Oh yeah, and while we're talking about milestones, Mr. Bunches of Funchess has finally hit the double-digit mark in hits, so hooray again!

I'm not National-bound next weekend so I expect to be back in Taylor once again, and as always I'll have a good rundown of my pickups at some point after that.  To those of you headed to Chicago, enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Great additions and good luck at the next show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny replying to this comment now since I DID have a ton of luck finding those '96 SPXs for you!

      Delete
  2. Love all of the Topps Tek! I don't even bother looking those up, because as you said, nobody calls any of the patterns the same thing, and also because I don't really care what they're called -- they're just cool, and that's good enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of looking at it! I'm just cranky about them because it's important to me to get PC stuff labelled and cataloged correctly, whether it's a scan or a record on TCDB.

      Delete