Wednesday, June 5, 2019

6/1/19 show report: dolla dolla bills, y'all

I'm back up to seven trade packages that need to be posted as I'm writing this, but instead I'm choosing to roll into June with a quick recap of this month's show from last Saturday.  After all, I don't wanna get two shows behind like I did last month!

I spent a couple hours sheltered from some big-time stormin' digging through my favorite seller's $1 and $2 boxes, all of which took enough time and patience that I was more than ready to head out without peeking at the quarter and dime cards.  The results:  18 $1 cards (six for $5) and 15 from the $2 box (three for $5), plus two more pickups that were $5 apiece.  That's a total of $50.
$40 of that went towards trade bait, all of which will be going into upcoming trade envelopes except for this fun bunch of seven.  I thought it would be cool to grab a bunch of manupatch autos, though only one of the six isn't a college card.  I hope someone's interested in those!  The Toon patch is a Rookie Premiere event-worn card but still looks awesome.  Here's a quick rundown on players and numbering for those interested:
  • Cedric Peerman #1:  #218/250
  • Jerrel Jernigan:  #044/100
  • Greg Childs:  #12/35
  • Jordan Todman:  unnumbered
  • Nick Toon:  #45/49
  • Knile Davis:  #005/100
  • Cedric Peerman #2:  #011/100
Claim whatever you want in the comments or via email or Twitter, friends!

After I'd piled all of those up I looked in the guy's showcase and noticed this pair of Tigers autographs sitting together.  He wanted $5 each and that sounded fair to me.  After I came home I took a quick look at eBay prices and it sounds like I at least didn't overpay, so I'm happy.

On the left is 1B/DH Darrell Evans on a 2018 Donruss Retro '84 Retro Signatures Blue auto card (#28/99).  I love the throwback to a classic Donruss design that came out the year the Tigers won their last World Series, with Evans one of the finishing touches on that amazing team.  Though his numbers would be vastly better the next three years, Evans was a key veteran presence with power, and he proved to be a shrewd free agent signing.  What you're seeing here is my third auto of his, with the other two hailing from 2003 and 2004 Topps Retired Signature.

To his right is a key guy from the previous Detroit team to earn a ring, Willie Horton of the '68 Tigers.  Before Kirk Gibson was patrolling the Tiger Stadium outfield wearing #23 on his jersey, Horton was manning LF and putting up some big numbers for a championship team.  He was 25 in 1968 when he put up his career best 5.4 bWAR and 36 HR, then went on to hit .304 with a homer and three RBI in the seven-game World Series victory over the Cardinals.  Oh yeah, and he did this too:
That's Horton gunning down HOF speedster Lou Brock at the plate (hey, Bill Freehan!) in game five, a crucial 5-3 win for a Tigers team battling back from a 3-1 series deficit.  It's no wonder he remains a beloved figure in Detroit, with his jersey number retired, a statue among the team's greats beyond the outfield, and a street named after him.

So as you can imagine I was very excited that I finally scored my first signature of the '68 hero, the 2014 Donruss Signatures card you see above.  And now I'm inspired to look for more!

I'll be back soonish with a return to trade packages so I can show off some exciting eBay and COMC pickups.

6 comments:

  1. I remember watching Evans play for the Giants back in the day. He's also one of the guys who hit a home run on the day I was born, so I started looking for an autograph of his. Quickly learned, he didn't sign too many cards. Glad to see Panini recognized this and is doing something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fun collection to chase! His Topps Retired cards are great but it's nice to see more recent autos for sure.

      Delete
  2. It's not anything that I would collect, but that Peerman auto/patch combo sure is neat. I don't imagine that you're going to have too much trouble in finding takers for some of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, whether it's here or on TCDB when I eventually post them there. Maybe I'll come back from a show soon with some stuff you'll want to claim!

      Delete
  3. I put a few claims in on Twitter :) Well, definitely at least one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got you down for the JJ and will send that and some other stuff soon!

      Delete