Sunday, April 22, 2018

Completed sets: 1996 Collector's Choice Griffey A Cut Above

With my show recaps and trade packages covered for now I'll be getting to my eBay scores next but first I wanted to take a quick intermission and get to a post that's been in my drafts long enough that I'm worried about forgetting it.

That would be the one covering my complete set of 1996 Collector's Choice Griffey A Cut Above, a 10-card insert focusing on, you guessed it, Ken Griffey Jr.  Some of you might recall that I found the first five cards at my monthly show last September, then tracked the rest down thanks to COMC.

Griffey's 1989 RC was a key to the brand's success and he was a natural choice for his own insert as one of the game's most popular players and a guy who starred on the manufacturer's packaging around this time.  After busting out with a fantastic 1993 campaign Junior roared back in '94 with a vengeance, chasing the single-season HR record in the strike-shorted season.  The even more limited '95 season was also good to Griffey as he starred in the postsesason, especially the ALDS in which he smacked five homers and scored the series-winning run against the Yankees, who'd have to wait one more year before beginning their dynasty.

All that means that this set has plenty of highlights to cover over its 10 cards, which are die-cut in a style Upper Deck often used around this time.  The theme of the write-up on the back is presented along the front right edge, with plenty of detail on the flip side.  The first four cards are more general while the other six look at the three most reason seasons and anticipate 1996 (the 49-homer season that preceded two straight years of 56 plus his lone MVP award).

So here's a look at all 10 cards, and I've blown up the backs for legibility:
I hope you liked this look at another fun 90s insert set.  Stay tuned for eBay pickups soon!  Also, if you haven't already please make sure to head over to TMM to check out Jeff's latest guest post covering some recent Wolverines pickups, starring Sauce Castillo and more!

4 comments:

  1. Great looking set. I own a few cards from it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UD always did right by Junior! I'm not remotely surprised you have some of these.

      Delete
  2. Very nice set. #5 and #9 are really cool. I just got #3 in a swap with Base Card Hero. Thanks for blowing up the back for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking! I hope you complete a set at some point if you're chasing it.

      Delete