Wednesday, April 18, 2018

2018 trade package #9: Bob Walk the Plank

And now for something completely different, here's what Matt from Bob Walk the Plank calls "Some PC needs and some boom!" in his latest trade package:
"BOOM" has become the code word for the high quality stuff we send back and forth, and Matt more than kept up his end of the bargain as usual with three Topps Mini Blank Back 1/1s of a couple of my PC guys, J.J. Putz (2013 and '14) and Clayton Richard (2014).  While you can definitely count these among the cards I wouldn't buy myself I'll happily take them if somebody else is footing the bill!  And leave it to Bob Walk's #1 fan to be the one to do that given some of the craziness he's sent my way in the past, such as a pair of signed Topps contracts.  Wow!

And these have me in a celebratory mood, starting with a minor milestone of 10 1/1s for Putz (and seven for Richard), putting him second only to Rich Hill (18) in my entire collection in that department.  But more importantly these finally got me over the century mark for a new grand total of 102 1/1s!

I like that these Topps-sold slabs hail from those two Mini sets since I found those cards to be fun to collect, maybe a bit closer to the set-building and value characteristics I valued from Topps before they began to cater exclusively to breakers.  Once the prices on boxes and cases crashed people really seemed to enjoy going crazy and pulling fun stuff left and right.  So I definitely have good feels when it comes to these products, besides the fact that I'm thrilled to add even more high-end stuff to those PCs.

And speaking of them being high-end, don't even act like I didn't buy that donut, because I've got the documentation right here:
Oddly enough, the last time I saw these was the aforementioned Topps contracts sent to me by Matt himself!

As incredible as those are, I think Wes has been rubbing off on him a bit because there were two more cards in this envelope (which was barely enough to contain all the awesome), including this gem:
I mean jeez, Matt, it took you long enough to send me another top-notch Al Kaline autograph.  I guess it's the fifth one you've sent me (out of the six I own), but you made me wait more than two years!  All kidding aside, you can't get much more "BOOM" than those three 1/1s and a sick sig of Mr. Tiger numbered 10/25 from 2017 Topps Five Star.  Al's always had an impeccable John Hancock and it looks fantastic here in silver ink.  I really should figure out a way to display some of my best stuff like Matt's Kalines and the many other heavy hitters he's sent--perhaps you've somehow forgotten about the Griffey autograph from last time?  BOOM indeed.

I mentioned there was one other really nice card in this envelope but I'm going to leave you hanging and direct you over to TMM this evening to check it out as it fits squarely in one of my many football PCs.

Thanks again, Matt, for this outstanding volley!  Looking back at past trade posts from you makes me realize how quickly we went from casual trading to lobbing bombs back and forth, making your favorite hashtag all the more appropriate.  I look forward to seeing your reaction to the stuff that made it to you this past weekend while I work on reloading once again!



3 comments:

  1. I guess we are on the same wavelength. I posted your cards yesterday as well. My luck has been a little better lately with PC needs. Hopefully that continues! Thanks for the nice write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like I'm lazy and you're not. I was finally writing up these posts last night and in the middle of that saw that you'd already put yours up! Thanks again for killing this one, I'm still in awe.

      Delete
  2. Did you guys coordinate your blog trade post times? I just came from Matt's post. Great stuff on both sides of this trade.

    ReplyDelete