Thursday, March 22, 2018

2018 trade package #7: I Feel Like a Collector Again

With my 2017 purchases good and done with a fork in them (thanks to a huge COMC finale over on TMM) I can finally get on with 2018 stuff.  But as I usually try to do, I'm putting trade packages higher up on the old list of priorities.  After all, I like to give credit to those of you who go to the effort of sending me cards!

So I've got a couple in hand, and I'll start with another fun PWE from Kin of I Feel Like a Collector Again.  I last put up a trade post from him on this here blog last September when he sent me a new Verlander mini for my PC, and now he's hit my mailbox for the first time this year with cards that hit multiple collections:
First up is a pair of early 90s base cards of PC guy Jim Abbott:  one from '92 Upper Deck and the other out of the debut of Fleer product Flair in '93.  UD called Jim the "Best left-handed pitcher" after his career best 1991 season, and that's before he managed to toss a no-hitter the same year the Flair card came out, with his pictured team the Yankees.

Kin then hit my Tigers collection with a future HOFer and a founding member.  Miguel Cabrera, who's on the hunt for a resurgent campaign after a lackluster 2017, pops up on a very nice looking 2014 Topps Chrome Update Black Refractor (#87/99).  The black border does a good job of highlighting the Refractorized photo of Miggy and former teammate Torii Hunter celebrating another long ball.  Cabrera did indeed reach 2000 hits in 2014, and hopefully he can pile up the 364 he needs for the iconic total of 3000 before he retires (not to mention 38 HR to join the 500 club).

Joining him is Ty Cobb from one of my top 10 favorite base sets, 2000 Upper Deck Legends.  The design is fantastic thanks to great photos, nice use of foil, and short blurbs on the front, something you don't see very often.  They also happen to have an excellent look on the back that includes complete career stats, something that's useful when you're talking about legends from before all of us were born.

Jumping back to modern day--if 25 years ago--and another '93 Flair base card of one of my PC guys who played college ball for Michigan, Barry Larkin.  Call this one a double-double because Larkin is turning two (or trying to prevent a stolen base) against a fellow Barry, Bonds.
Image result for archer barry other barry
Last up is a card that hits both my Tigers collection and a PC thanks to blog namesake guy Justin Verlander.  It's a 2015 Panini Prizm Prizms Blue parallel, and I was excited to find that that was the case by eventually noticing the serial numbering on the back:  66/75.  It's blue, it's numbered, and it's a new JV, and that's an A+ card in a PWE that definitely punched above its weight class!

And that's not all as Kin was nice enough to indulge a fellow college collector with some football cards as well.  Make sure to catch those over on TMM this evening.

Thanks again for thinking of me, Kin, and I'll continue trying to put together some stuff to send you in return!

6 comments:

  1. That's one heck of a PWE - the Cabrera and JV are especially awesome. Panini did a great job of hiding the logolessness (is that a word?) on the Verlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Kin's awesome! Logolessness is now a word by popular vote.

      Delete
  2. Aaaaaarcher, come out and plaaaaaay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you want Zakwin comments? Because that's how you get Zakwin comments.

      Delete
  3. Sweet, you didn't have that Verlander!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I just got the base and Blue Baseball prizm but not that one, so that was huge! Thanks again.

      Delete