Sunday, July 30, 2017

2017 JustCommons purchase: just Sabos

Previously:  Jim AbbottKirk GibsonBarry Larkin, Hal Morris

Back in late May I made my largest JustCommons purchase yet:  around 330 cards for about $57.  That total included a few things heading into trade packages, but overall I added almost 300 new cards to some of my baseball PCs.  Over something like seven different posts I'll cover those new cards, player by player!

Today's player, our third straight (and final) former Reds player and TMV PC guy is "Spuds", a.k.a. Chris Sabo!  Some of you might have pieced that together between the fact that I've been going alphabetically and that I mentioned his team.

Sabo is also the third PC guy, along with Mike Matheny and Hal Morris, that I recently promoted to supercollection status, and his collection of 210 regular issues may be the most manageable of the trio.  However, I didn't pick up nearly as many cards of the former ROY and World Series champ--just two scans worth--as I did of his former teammates Barry Larkin and Morris, and his collection pales in comparison for now.  Oh well, it's a work in progress.

Let's look at some new Sabo cardboard:
In this first scan we skip the first three years of Sabo's cards and begin with 1991, specifically the end, alphabetically:  the debut of Fleer's Ultra product plus Sabo's inclusion in the 10-card Gold set, putting him among stars such as Bonds, Griffey, and Henderson--quite the club!  1992 is heavily represented by, in order:  Donruss, Fleer, Pinnacle, Stadium Club Dome, Triple Play, and Upper Deck FanFest.  I'm a big fan of Stadium Club in general, and the "Dome" cards that came packaged in a SkyDome-shaped container are no exception.  Meanwhile, the FanFest card was part of a 54-card set that also celebrates the Midsummer Classic, and I have a Gold version to track down as well.  We finish off this scan with a solid base card from '93 Leaf.
Here we continue 1993 with base cards from Score, Stadium Club, Triple Play (that's two for two!) and Ultra.  Each of these features a pretty nice photo, and TSC and Ultra come back with nice designs as usual.  Moving on to 1994 I repeated my success from '92 in grabbing a Donruss/Fleer one-two punch.  A close-up of the goggles-clad 3B with his second of four teams, the Orioles, is the lone representative for 1995.  Finally, my only horizontal card, from 1993 Select, features a sweet photo of Chris making a great diving grab.

These 17 new cards give me a total of 68 Sabos out of the 210 I have on his checklist (to go along with three oddballs/"others"), and I look forward to adding more, including a possible big chunk from Sportlots soon.

Until then, look forward to two more posts in this series; the next will be the player for whom I added the most cards while the last will include four players who didn't have enough stuff to merit individual posts.

2 comments:

  1. Sabo was a gamer!I dont have many but i do have his 88 Topps Traded,a personal favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabo was my favorite player when I was a kid, I treasured his rookie cup Topps card back then!

    ReplyDelete