Thursday, February 19, 2015

Complete sets: 2002 Fleer Fall Classics HOF Plaques

At long last I can show off this set in its entirety!  For a quick refresher (not that I haven't mentioned it 100 times here), I first learned about the set and picked up 19 of the 30 cards for under $10 at a show last April.  A few months went by before I made another move, scoring three new ones--Ty Cobb, Jackie Robinson, and Nolan Ryan--on COMC for just $5.50.  Needing eight cards at that point, I took advantage of COMC's Black Friday sales to move on picking up four more, and then found Ozzie Smith's issue during the Boxing Day promotions.  As I was nearing the finish line I lucked into digging out Lou Gehrig in a $2 box at a show a couple weeks ago, and that's when I really got my ass in gear.  Needing just the Ruth and Musial cards, I lucked into a very nice price on the Ruth from a seller in Michigan, and thus motivated, nabbed a nice BIN offer for Stan the Man.  The Ruth arrived today and that's all she wrote!

Since I've already described the cards, I'll now present them in all their glory without any further interruption, other to point out that "just" 1,936 complete sets are possible, and that this is the second ever all-serial-numbered set I've completed (the other being the 2001 Donruss Rookie Reprints).  Oh yeah, and one last thing:  I now have literally zero cards on my set wantlists!

Ok, all that said, please enjoy what I think is a fantastic set (especially since it was a lot of work acquiring the cards, scanning fronts and backs, and stitching them together)!



7 comments:

  1. Very cool! It's a great feeling to finish off a set...congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, thanks! I'll be happy to keep an eye out for another Bench and Morgan if you'd like.

      Delete
  2. Like these a lot. I'm going to have to track down. Foxx, speaker, young and aparicio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good deal--I'll let you know if I find more of any of those guys.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Absolutely love this set. I've been working on mine for years. My problem is finding a reasonably price Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I've seen those cards before...very nice looking. Congrats on completing the set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colbey! I can't say I'd seen them either before last year, and I don't know how they snuck by me other than there being a ton of sets from that era.

      Delete