Tuesday, May 1, 2012

No, YOU check out MY cards: selling edition


I've seen enough people recently have some degree of success selling on COMC that I finally decided to give it a shot myself.  Armed with a $20 off coupon (that I might have ended up with thanks to one of you, I can't remember) I sent in 75 total cards for their one-week service, and yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find that they'd entered everything in two days earlier than estimated.  I set about pricing my cards, either starting a bit higher than my lowest accepted price and/or undercutting what was already there, and in no time offers came flying in!  As of this writing, I've sold nine cards for $81, which is definitely beyond my expectations this soon.  You'll all be happy to hear that every bit of money I make there will go back into cards--you know I'm not in this hobby for profit, what little someone like me can make anyway--especially now that I'll have lots of COMC credit to play with.

So having already deemed this experiment a success, two things:  one, please feel free to check out what I have up just for fun or to make me some offers, and two, if you've been thinking about taking the plunge yourself, I say go for it!  It's a great way to make a little money back on that useless trade bait of yours that nobody wants.


As for me, I'm off to sort through a bunch more offers and rake in some cash!


10 comments:

  1. Can I ask (if you don't mind sharing) how much they charged for processing? I've been thinking about doing this myself, and was just wondering what their cut was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,

      I'm gonna answer you here and on your blog just in case--I'm happy to provide this info for everyone because it's public, really.

      If you go to their "Add cards" page here, https://www.checkoutmycards.com/Manage/AddCards.aspx, you can see what you'll be charged. I sent 75 standard-sized cards for the 1-week service (because I knew I was getting a discount and I'm impatient). So my total came to $3 + 75 x $0.35 = $29.25, minus my $20 off first-time seller coupon = $9.25 (then they dinged me another $0.50 or $1.00 for cards that needed "condition notes."). I don't think I'll use the 1-week service next time because I won't get that discount, and I probably won't send that many at one time because fees and shipping (which you're responsible for, and it has to be trackable) could add up, but I think you can find a happy medium there.

      My other bit of advice: I had a lot more I could have sent but ruled out most stuff that wasn't worth $10 or more and stuff which was already very abundantly available there. I hope that helps, but if you have any other questions for me, let me know.

      Delete
    2. Hey Dennis,
      Thanks for that! Good to know. Yeah, I have about a dozen or so I'd like to sell off just for more card funds, and I think I have one of those 20% off coupons around here somewhere too. Maybe I'll start small and then dump some more off on them if it works out well.

      Thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the info, I think I may take the plunge myself. Anybody have an extra 20% off coupon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might, I'll check when I get home.

      Delete
    2. No problem. I was hoping this would be helpful to a few people, although I know this is old news to a lot of people who tried it way before I did.

      Delete
  3. I have put lesser value cards out there with decent success, especially when it's the only one out there... The way I look at it, as long as I make a little more than my processing fees + postage, it's all good. I'm making a little bit of money to buy cards with, and I got the cards I didn't want out of the house. That being said, I do first check to see if there are 100 of the same card out there.

    The one thing I will pass along; vintage commons aren't always worth putting out there unless they're in excellent condition (i.e. no creases, rounded corners); if you spend 25 cents for processing/postage and another 25 cents for condition notes, then you have to sell it for 50 cents just to get your money back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--that's all very useful to know, especially the part about damaged vintage stuff.

      Delete
  4. Are you sure you don't want to keep that Jimmy Claussen card for your collection? Everyone around here said he was going to be a Hall of Fame QB when he makes it big. Of course, they are all still waiting for him to make it big.

    I was going to email you about how it works, guess I don't have to now. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Emu was just a gift that kept on giving for Michigan fans the world over, wasn't he?

      Hope you get a chance to throw some stuff up on COMC at some point.

      Delete