Thursday, April 19, 2018

2018 trade package #10: the Collector

It's been long enough--about 13 months--since Chris of the Collector and I had swapped cards that he now has a cool banner image.  I've been doing this for seven-plus years and still can't make that claim--I totally need to get on that!

Anyway, Chris recently promised me that he was sending one of my most wanted cards (as seen in the upper-right corner of this here blog) soon.  That ended up being part of a very productive PWE of cards he grabbed from COMC and then sent my way immediately instead of waiting for package filler.  Boy am I glad he did!

Here's the contents:
We'll start with a 2016 Bowman card of Tigers OF JaCoby Jones which is not a RC, but that's fine since he has cards in 2013 Elite Extra Edition and those don't count either.  The guy the Tigers got from the Pirates for a few months of Joakim Soria in 2015 hasn't done a lot of damage at the plate yet but could be an adequate guy on a rebuilding team.
Now we move on to the star of the show and one of my former most wanted:  Jake Fox's 2007 Bowman Sterling Black Refractor (#13/25).  The final card I needed for the slugger's three-card "rainbow" from that product was one of just two I needed to track down for Fox's small collection.  Believe me when I say it's got plenty of Refractor power even if the scan makes the "black" part look more prevalent.  Here's that trio, by the way:
Not bad at all!

The last card I'm chasing is gonna be much, much tougher to track down, though:  a 2009 Upper Deck Signature Stars Signature Quads auto that stars Fox along with teammates Geovany Soto, Derrek Lee, and Micah Hoffpauir.  Just 15 copies were made and I've never seen one, so if you've got a lead on one for sale please let me know!
The other two cards were also PC needs:  a couple 1995 parallels of Hal Morris.  While I was a bit surprised to find that I didn't already have card #2, an Ultra Gold Medallion, the Stadium Club First Day Issue to its left was a no-doubter for me.  Both of these feature nice action shots in the field on excellent borderless designs, but you just can't beat Morris catching the First Day stamp in his glove.  Based on other cards I could find from the set it seems that stamp moved around quite a bit so this very well could have been intentional on Topps' part, which would be awesome.

In any case this pair was very helpful towards my collection as I now sit at 102 cards shy of the 359 I've checklisted for the former Red.

Chris, thanks once again for packing lots of productivity into a Pedestrian (but not pedestrian) PWE!  I really appreciate you taking the time to find those needs on my checklists, especially as you sent a big-time want my way.  Enjoy your well-deserved big box of fun that I already know has arrived to you!

4 comments:

  1. It's always neat to see completed rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to finish up some bigger ones that you can enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I've got a banner pic, but you've got a background image. I've got to get working on that (the idea I had for one failed) I'm definitely enjoying the box you sent my way. Hopefully I'll be able to post a thank you on Monday. Glad I could find some cards you needed. The Fox rainbow looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the help, I always appreciate it!

      Delete